Subscribe

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

'Wrong' to think too far ahead on F1 and McLaren future - Button

Jenson Button believes it would be wrong to allow himself to think too far ahead, amid McLaren's struggles, about extending his 16-year stay in Formula 1

The 2009 world champion signed a two-year deal with McLaren at the end of 2014, but the second season relies on the team taking up an option to keep him alongside Fernando Alonso.

There is considerable competition for a McLaren seat from reserve driver Kevin Magnussen - who lost out on this year's seat to Button after the pair were 2014 team-mates - and development driver and GP2 championship leader Stoffel Vandoorne.

No F1 guarantees from McLaren for Vandoorne

When asked by AUTOSPORT about his future with the team, and potentially seeing the benefit of 2015's grind in the years ahead, Button said: "I don't think either Fernando or myself are thinking about the future just now.

"We're thinking about now and how to improve things.

"I'm not thinking that in three years' time we're going to win the title because I don't know what is going to happen.

"It is wrong to think so far ahead. You have to think in the moment and to change things, we need to keep our head down and not look too far forward.

"We know next year will be a better year and the year after will hopefully be better but who knows how good. No one knows.

"It is important we just keep pushing and focus on now."

Kevin Magnussen: Formula 1's forgotten man

Alonso also stated that the team's focus is on moving forward this year, to put it in a better position in 2016 and beyond.

"I think the whole team is concentrating on next year and by doing so, I think 2015 is the year that we need to develop the car," he said.

"You do both things at the same time.

"Every weekend will be a test for us to prepare next year's car but to prepare next year's car, we will do it on the track every Friday, Saturday and Sunday."

Be part of the Autosport community

Join the conversation
Previous article Williams can catch Ferrari for second in F1 standings - Rob Smedley
Next article Felipe Nasr warns Sauber not to 'throw money' at Formula 1 upgrades

Top Comments

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe