Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Sauber alters legality-check procedure

Sauber says it has made changes to its legality-check procedure in order to avoid a repeat of what happened to the team in the Australian Grand Prix

Both Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi - seventh and eighth in the race - were disqualified from the Melbourne event following a technical infringement.

A radius on the upper rear wing element on the cars contravened the regulations by a few millimetres.

Sauber's managing director Monisha Kaltenborn told AUTOSPORT on Thursday that the team had identified the problem and tweaked the system to avoid a repeat.

She also said it had been a human error.

"We had to first understand what happened and how it happened, which we did," Kaltenborn said. "We then focused on basically looking at the legality-check procedure we had and see how it could happen there.

"We reinforced measures, we added a few other measures to really have a robust system. So we concentrated on that and we are sure now the measurements are right."

She added: "You have a lot of things connected when you are designing, and so one change or modification can have effects on other things, and this is where simply a human error happened, and it slipped through the system."

Kaltenborn also laughed off rumours about technical director James Key being fired because of the incident.

"I think this is one of the examples of how dangerous the internet can be. Somebody somewhere on some chat wrote some nonsense and it has this effect all over the web. It is absolute nonsense and it would also be such a foolish move."

When asked if Key had a long future at Sauber, she said: "Absolutely, yes."

Previous article Trulli pleased with Pirelli's tyres
Next article Vettel unfazed by higher temperatures

Top Comments

Latest news