Renault's interest in 2017 F1 deal an honour - Carlos Sainz Jr

Toro Rosso's Carlos Sainz Jr feels "honoured" and "proud" to have interest from Formula 1 rival Renault but would not be drawn on how that affects his future

Renault's interest in 2017 F1 deal an honour - Carlos Sainz Jr

Earlier this year, the Spaniard signed a new deal to stay at Toro Rosso in 2017 but there has been consistent speculation linking with him a move to Renault.

Sainz insisted his dream is to be fighting for the title with Red Bull in 2018 but Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen have contracts with the senior team that run up until the end of that season.

Asked about Renault's continued interest in him, Sainz replied: "There's been a bit of interest, a bit of contact, which for me in the end has to be an honour - that a manufacturer team is actually worried about me and wants to know my contract situation.

"It's an honour to have interest from a manufacturer team that wants me to develop the car, to create a good base for the future.

"But at the end my main target and my main objective is to not in 2017 but in 2018 be fighting for a world championship and hopefully that will be with Red Bull.

"That's my main target even though I know it's very difficult.

"But the only thing I want now is for that to happen and now I need to find the shortest way to that point."

Sainz said the speculation is not "destabilising" but rather a positive as it means he has options for the future.

"I'm a bit aware about what's going on, but I don't know all the details of what's happening," he said.

"First of all because I'm focused on this season and I don't want to think much about my future when there are still an important and tough six races remaining.

"It is my job to be informed but I think it's more down to [Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut] Marko and my management to sort out that kind of stuff.

"But it makes me quite proud that a manufacturer is interested in me - it's something that every driver wants.

"My situation at the moment is I have other possibilities and it makes me proud and happy."

Renault has struggled this season and when asked if he would like to drive a Toro Rosso or Renault next year, Sainz chose Toro Rosso, adding he had little knowledge of how quickly Renault could get back to the top.

"At the moment I have full trust in Toro Rosso, knowing that they are going to produce a good chassis for next year," he said.

"If there was any kind of doubt, Singapore proved that Toro Rosso is probably the third or fourth best chassis on the grid.

"About Renault I still have not enough information to know if they're going to perform next year, if it's going to take them two years or three years."

shares
comments
Sergio Perez could look beyond F1 if 2017 deal not sorted next week

Previous article

Sergio Perez could look beyond F1 if 2017 deal not sorted next week

Next article

Kevin Magnussen can't understand Renault's 2017 F1 decision delay

Kevin Magnussen can't understand Renault's 2017 F1 decision delay
Load comments
The F1 champion who became an Indy king in his second career Plus

The F1 champion who became an Indy king in his second career

Emerson Fittipaldi’s decision to go racing with his brother led to him falling out of F1, but he bloomed again on the IndyCar scene. NIGEL ROEBUCK considers a career of two halves

Why Mercedes is pleased to be in the Hungary hunt at a 'Red Bull track' Plus

Why Mercedes is pleased to be in the Hungary hunt at a 'Red Bull track'

Mercedes ended Friday practice at the Hungaroring with a clear gap to Red Bull thanks to Valtteri Bottas’s pace in topping FP2. But there are other reasons why the Black Arrows squad feels satisfied with its progress so far at a track many Formula 1 observers reckon favours Red Bull overall

Formula 1
Jul 30, 2021
How Red Bull endured its second car crash in two weeks Plus

How Red Bull endured its second car crash in two weeks

OPINION: Red Bull was justified to be upset that Lewis Hamilton survived his British GP clash with Max Verstappen and went on to win. But its attempts to lobby the FIA to reconsider the severity of Hamilton's in-race penalty were always likely to backfire, and have only succeeded in creating a PR disaster that will distract from its on-track efforts

Formula 1
Jul 30, 2021
The ‘screaming’ F1 engine future that may not be out of reach Plus

The ‘screaming’ F1 engine future that may not be out of reach

OPINION: It wasn't just the Verstappen/Hamilton clash that had the Red Bull and Mercedes bosses at loggerheads at Silverstone, with the nature of Formula 1's 2025 engines also subject for disagreement. But hopes to have loud, emotive engines that are also environmentally friendly don't have to be opposed

Formula 1
Jul 29, 2021
The drivers that need to strike gold before F1's summer break Plus

The drivers that need to strike gold before F1's summer break

OPINION: Formula 1 is about to break up for summer 2021, with the title battles finely poised. But it’s not just the latest round of Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton that will be worth watching this weekend in Hungary, as plenty of drivers are eying big results to change the stories of their seasons so far

Formula 1
Jul 28, 2021
How Lotus F1 uncovered, then squandered its last ‘unfair advantage’ Plus

How Lotus F1 uncovered, then squandered its last ‘unfair advantage’

Cast in the mould of its founder Colin Chapman, Lotus was powerful and daring but 
flawed – as it proved through further soaring peaks and painful troughs into the 1980s. DAMIEN SMITH examines a game-changing era

Formula 1
Jul 27, 2021
The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address Plus

The core problems Yas Marina’s long-awaited tweaks won't address

OPINION: Changes to the layout of Abu Dhabi’s circuit aim to reverse the trend of insipid Formula 1 races there - the promoter has even described one of the new corners as “iconic”. And that, argues STUART CODLING, is one of this venue’s abiding failings

Formula 1
Jul 26, 2021
How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't Plus

How Ferrari offered Britain's next F1 prospect what Red Bull couldn't

Last year's Formula 2 runner-up Callum Ilott could be on his way to becoming the first Briton to contest a grand prix in an Alfa Romeo since Reg Parnell in 1950. But, says OLEG KARPOV, the Ferrari Driver Academy protege is having to temper his ambition at the moment – outwardly at least…

Formula 1
Jul 25, 2021