No further penalty for Vettel from FIA over Hamilton Baku incident

The FIA has decided to take no further action against Sebastian Vettel for his clash with Formula 1 title rival Lewis Hamilton during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix

No further penalty for Vettel from FIA over Hamilton Baku incident

Vettel and Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene met with FIA president Jean Todt and other senior figures from motorsport's world governing body on Monday to discuss the collision in Baku.

The Ferrari driver was slapped with a 10-second stop-go penalty during the race for swerving into his Mercedes rival behind the safety car, but the nature of the incident meant the FIA wanted to review the matter further.

A statement from the FIA claimed that after a detailed look at the incident Vettel took full responsibility for what happened and apologised.

As a result of this, and a commitment from the four-time champion to commit personal time to educating young race drivers, the FIA has elected against taking the matter further.

A statement from the FIA said: "In light of these developments, FIA president Jean Todt decided that on this occasion the matter should be closed.

"Nevertheless, in noting the severity of the offence and its potential negative consequences, FIA president Jean Todt made it clear that should there be any repetition of such behaviour, the matter would immediately be referred to the FIA International Tribunal for further investigation."

Despite his offer to help educate young race drivers, Todt has removed Vettel from endorsing any road safety activities until the end of the year.

Todt said: "Top level sport is an intense environment in which tempers can flare.

"However, it is the role of top sportsmen to deal with that pressure calmly and to conduct themselves in a manner that not only respects the regulations of the sport but which befits the elevated status they enjoy."

The FIA's statement on Monday night said it had been worried after Baku about the implications Vettel's actions could have on junior categories.

It said it "remained deeply concerned by the wider implications of the incident, firstly through the impact such behaviour may have on fans and young competitors worldwide and secondly due to the damage such behaviour may cause to the FIA's image and reputation of the sport".

As well as the apology made to the FIA behind closed doors on Monday, a public apology from Vettel is due to be made as well.

To review the incident the FIA pulled together a panel that included FIA deputy president for sport Graham Stoker, FIA general secretary for sport Peter Bayer, F1 race director Charlie Whiting and deputy race director Laurent Meckies.

Had this panel decided that further action was required, then Todt could have called up the FIA International Tribunal to put charges to Vettel.

With no subsequent action taken, Vettel retains his 14-point lead over Hamilton in the drivers' championship.

Ferrari issued its own statement, which read: "Following the meeting that was held today in Paris between FIA representatives and Scuderia Ferrari driver S Vettel, with the purpose of clarifying positions on the incidents occurred at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, Scuderia Ferrari notes the driver's apologies and his personal commitments to help the image of the sport.

"Scuderia Ferrari confirms its support to FIA's initiatives, sharing the governing's body values and objectives."

shares
comments
Both McLaren drivers get Honda F1 upgrade for Austrian Grand Prix

Previous article

Both McLaren drivers get Honda F1 upgrade for Austrian Grand Prix

Next article

Sebastian Vettel apologises for 'dangerous overreaction' in Baku

Sebastian Vettel apologises for 'dangerous overreaction' in Baku
Load comments
The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey  Plus

The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey 

Before Michael Schumacher – or anyone else – had driven the 191 (or 911 as it was initially called), Eddie Jordan turned to a fellow Irishman to test his new Formula 1 car. JOHN WATSON, a grand prix winner for Penske and McLaren, recalls his role in the birth of a legend…

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021