Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Leclerc will quiz Ferrari about rivals' in-race F1 tactics in future

Charles Leclerc will seek more information from his Ferrari Formula 1 team in future races and understood his "very frustrating" Singapore Grand Prix defeat "a lot more" afterwards

Leclerc lost a third straight F1 win after Ferrari pitted team-mate Sebastian Vettel first in the Singapore GP, to try to get Vettel ahead of Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton into second place, and an unexpected 3.9-second gain on fresh tyres allowed Vettel to jump Leclerc as well.

Leclerc said Vettel's one-lap "undercut" was not planned before the race and this "will be one of the discussions too, to try and understand why we didn't speak about that situation before".

He said in the future he will make sure he is better informed during the race itself.

"I don't think I could have done much things better or differently," he said.

"The only thing, probably, is I will ask a bit more about the strategy around me.

"Because I was not aware [Vettel was going to pit earlier], so I don't know if I should have pushed a bit earlier during my first stint.

"I don't know, we have plenty of data anyway and I will analyse it."

Leclerc stressed that it was unlikely he would have been able to react with a faster in-lap had Ferrari predicted he would be racing his team-mate for the lead.

"At that time obviously the tyres were quite dead but probably before I had quite a lot of margin," he said.

"In the first few laps, obviously we wanted to go as slow as we possibly could for the guys behind to not have the window to pit.

"In that period I could have done a much better job but I stick to the plan and I think that's what helped us to do one-two."

Leclerc decried the situation as 'unfair' during the grand prix and said in the official FIA press conference after the race that although he had started to "see things maybe a bit differently, I still need some explanations just to understand fully why this decision was taken".

Ferrari did not have time to complete a full post-race debrief before Leclerc addressed written media on Sunday evening, as its drivers had been speaking to TV crews and then participating in the FIA press conference.

However, Leclerc had already cooled down further, and accepted Ferrari's admission that it was "surprised by how powerful the undercut was" for Vettel, as Ferrari expected Leclerc to rejoin in the lead.

"As I said in the car it was very frustrating, but now out of the car I understand a lot more the whole situation," said Leclerc.

"I am extremely happy for the whole team, very happy for Seb too. He deserves it, and now we'll move forward.

"Obviously I wish I was one step higher [on the podium], but it's part of life sometimes it goes that way and I'll bounce back stronger in Russia [next weekend]."

Previous article Haas opens talks with Kubica over 2020 F1 test/simulator driver role
Next article Ricciardo: Disgraceful penalty made F1 Singapore GP a waste of time

Top Comments

Latest news