Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
Alex Marquez to miss next two MotoGP rounds after Barcelona crash

How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How Hamilton switched to a "different approach" for F1 Canadian GP

Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Feature
Formula 1
Where you can find the best battles of F1 2026

Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull outlines timeline for new F1 wind tunnel

Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

MotoGP
Monster to become Aprilia's title sponsor in MotoGP from Italian GP

Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why quirky Montreal will remain F1's true North American gem

Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why the real F1 pecking order won't be seen until Barcelona at the earliest

MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

MotoGP
MotoGP considers reducing riders to one bike from 2027

Jordan Claim Contract with Smith

Red Bull Racing appear to have a fight on their hands to obtain the services of much-heralded designer Mark Smith after his former team Jordan claimed they still have him under contract.

Red Bull Racing appear to have a fight on their hands to obtain the services of much-heralded designer Mark Smith after his former team Jordan claimed they still have him under contract.

Smith was announced as Red Bull Racing's deputy technical director on February 25 just less than two months after he had been appointed as the technical director of Jordan Grand Prix.

But in a press conference ahead of Sunday's season-opening Australian Grand Prix, Jordan boss Colin Kolles insisted Smith is still a Jordan employee and said: "We still have a contract with Mark Smith and that is the fact.

"We will announce at the right time, please understand this, because the situation with Mark Smith is not clear at all, from our side at least. This is what I can tell you. There are some announcements made, maybe he signed some other contract.

"We will clarify that situation, maybe not in front of the journalists. He has a very clear contract (with Jordan). I'm not supervising somebody if he's signing two or three or four or five contracts. Everybody has to decide for himself if he works professionally or unprofessionally. So it's a question for me of dealing in a professional way."

Smith worked on Jordan's very first car in 1991 and spent ten years with the team before leaving with Mike Gascoyne to Renault then returning to Jordan at the end of last year.

He had been tipped to join up with Gascoyne again at Toyota and was thought to be using Jordan as a stepping stone to join his former boss because he was not allowed to move directly with him.

His move to Red Bull came as a surprise to many and looked to have been an impressive coup by the team's new technical boss Guenther Steiner until Red Bull boss Christian Horner heard of Jordan's objection.

"As far as I am concerned he will be joining the company imminently but Colin's comments today are obviously the first I have heard of anything to the contrary," said Horner.

Previous article Interview: Adam Cooper with Pedro de la Rosa
Next article BAR Would Sacrifice Championship Spot for Wins

Top Comments

Latest news