Italian GP: Red Bull says it cannot afford any more retirements after Sebastian Vettel's Monza disaster

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says Red Bull cannot afford a repeat of the kind of mechanical problems that ruined Sebastian Vettel's Italian Grand Prix if it is to win the world championship

Italian GP: Red Bull says it cannot afford any more retirements after Sebastian Vettel's Monza disaster

Vettel retired from the Monza race with an alternator failure on lap 48 - the second time his car had been stopped this weekend with the issue following a similar problem in third practice.

Horner was clearly deeply disappointed by the situation, which comes after the team lost a likely victory in Valencia with the same problem. He urged Renault to address the matter with some urgency.

"I think the most important thing is that we need to find rectifications for the faults that have occurred," explained Horner.

"DNFs are extremely expensive and it is our first non points scoring race since [Korea] 2010 - which also happened to be an engine failure that cost us on that day as well. We cannot afford to not be finishing races."

Horner was unaware of the cause of the alternator failure - which Renault believes was caused by overheating - but thinks it vital his outfit works with the French car manufacturer to get on top of the matter.

"We have had two race-stopping failures: one that cost us a certain victory and today one that cost us a sensible amount of points. It is extremely costly and something that needs to be rectified for the remaining eight races.

"I think there was another issue on another car with the same component during the weekend, so it is very disappointing. But we need to work with Renault to understand it and make sure it doesn't happen again."

The other alternator issue hit Jerome d'Ambrosio in the Lotus on Saturday, when the alternator did not fail but was changed as a precautionary measure after qualifying.

shares
comments
Italian GP: Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull criticise penalty for Fernando Alonso incident

Previous article

Italian GP: Sebastian Vettel and Red Bull criticise penalty for Fernando Alonso incident

Next article

Italian GP: Jenson Button not giving up on title challenge despite latest setback

Italian GP: Jenson Button not giving up on title challenge despite latest setback
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Drivers Sebastian Vettel
Teams Red Bull Racing
Author Jonathan Noble
How “overwhelming” McLaren move has given Ricciardo a new verve Plus

How “overwhelming” McLaren move has given Ricciardo a new verve

Daniel Ricciardo has found a new lease of life at McLaren – a move that’s been years in the making, as he explains to STUART CODLING…

The German legend who raced and beat Nuvolari Plus

The German legend who raced and beat Nuvolari

Ninety years ago, Rudolf Caracciola became the first non-Italian to win the epic Mille Miglia. We look at how he stacks up to the most famous pre-war ace Tazio Nuvolari, one of the drivers he beat on that day in 1931

How 2021's midfielders have taken lessons from F1's top teams Plus

How 2021's midfielders have taken lessons from F1's top teams

Formula 1’s latest Imola adventure turned into an expensive trip for many teams due to several crashes throughout the weekend. While balancing the books is an added factor in 2021 with the cost cap, a few midfield teams have cashed in early on development investments

Formula 1
Apr 19, 2021
Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Driver Ratings

A frantic wet race at Imola produced plenty of excitement and drama as drivers scrabbled for grip. Amid the hatful of mistakes and incidents that ensued, who kept their noses cleanest?

Formula 1
Apr 19, 2021
How the Emilia Romagna GP result hinged on three crucial saves Plus

How the Emilia Romagna GP result hinged on three crucial saves

Rain before the start of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix promised to spice up the action, and the race certainly delivered on that. Max Verstappen got the best launch to win from Lewis Hamilton, but both got away with mistakes that could have had serious consequences

Formula 1
Apr 19, 2021
The back-bedroom world-beater that began a new F1 era Plus

The back-bedroom world-beater that began a new F1 era

The first in a line of world beaters was designed in a back bedroom and then constructed in a shed. STUART CODLING recalls the Tyrrell 001

Formula 1
Apr 18, 2021
The clues Hamilton’s F1 contract afterthought gives to his future Plus

The clues Hamilton’s F1 contract afterthought gives to his future

The Formula 1 world reacted with surprise when it learned Lewis Hamilton’s long-awaited new Mercedes deal guarantees his presence on the grid only until the end of 2021. Both parties claimed publicly they were happy with the arrangement but, asks MARK GALLAGHER, is there more to it than that?

Formula 1
Apr 17, 2021
How a harshly ejected Red Bull star has been hooked by racing again Plus

How a harshly ejected Red Bull star has been hooked by racing again

Driver-turned-DJ Jaime Alguersuari lost his love for motorsport when he was booted out of Formula 1 just as he was starting to polish his rough edges. Having drifted from category to category then turned his back on racing altogether in 2015, he’s come full circle and is planning a return in karts for fun

Formula 1
Apr 17, 2021