Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

H-HF to Toyota? Arrows bags Jag power?

Paddock rumour at the Nurburgring has linked Jordan star Heinz-Harald Frentzen to a Toyota seat for the company's debut season in Formula 1 in 2002

Frentzen, who is back behind the wheel for the European Grand Prix after missing the Canadian race a fortnight ago with concussion, is believed to have to make his decision next week.

Sources say the German has a limited window coming up in which to say yes or no to an option on his existing Jordan-Honda contract. Beyond that 24-hour period, thought to end at midnight on Monday, the contract will then revert to its current form which means he stays at Jordan in 2002.

Further speculation suggested that the 34-year-old, who was third in the 1999 world championship, had also considered retirement as an option for 2002.

It is not clear how Frentzen's signing would effect the long-term futures of Mika Salo and test-driver Allan McNish in the Toyota set-up. The Scot had been expected to be promoted to the Cologne-based outfit's race team alongside Salo.

The Arrows team has been linked to a supply of 2001-spec Cosworth V10 engines for next season. Team boss Tom Walkinshaw is believed to be on the verge of signing a deal imminently, which is thought to have been a factor in Jos Verstappen re-committing to the squad.

The deal would not effect Jaguar Racing's status as the sole recipient of works Cosworth units. Cosworth and Jaguar are both owned by Ford.

In the paddock today (Saturday), Cosworth's Nick Hayes said: "A lot of people have come up to me and said, 'I know you can't say anything, but can you tell me about the Arrows rumours?' And I say, 'You're right...I can't say anything.'"

Arrows' current engine-supplier Asiatech is expected to take its Peugeot-based V10s to Prost, which is looking for a cheaper alternative to its existing Ferrari customer engine deal.

More news on Autosport.com as we get it

Previous article Sauber Pleased with Both Cars in Top Ten
Next article Schumacher Determined to Avoid Canada Repeat

Top Comments