Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - qualifying

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - qualifying

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell wins sprint after clash with Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell wins sprint after clash with Antonelli

Grosjean: I raced with illegal Renault F1 brake bias system in 2015

The Renault Formula 1 braking system deemed illegal by the FIA was in use as early as the 2015 Belgian Grand Prix when the team was Lotus, claims Romain Grosjean

Renault was disqualified from the Japanese Grand Prix for using the system - a pre-set brake balance adjustment, which it admitted was a driver aid.

Team boss Cyril Abiteboul revealed the device had been used "for a while" but would not confirm how long, beyond admitting it was in operation before 2019.

Grosjean drove for Lotus in 2015 - the final season before it became Renault again - alongside Pastor Maldonado, but moved to Haas the following year.

Asked if he had mentioned on Thursday at the Mexican Grand Prix that he drove with the system since the Spa round in 2015, in which he scored a podium, Grosjean said: "I may have. Yes."

Grosjean was then asked whether he considered the device to be legal, and responded: "Well let's say that I asked to replicate it later on and they wouldn't do it.

"It was good though."

Racing Point challenged the braking system after the Japanese GP, and said it had done so because the FIA confirmed it was not allowed to replicate the system.

Abiteboul said Renault had not sought approval from the FIA for the design because it was convinced it was legal given how long it had been on the car.

He also stressed it was not a performance-enhancing driver aid, simply a way to reduce the driver's workload.

However, Racing Point driver Lance Stroll thought there will have been a benefit.

"They [the FIA] clearly gave them a penalty because it was an advantage," he said.

"However, I don't know the ins and outs of it, or how much they were doing it, or how much lap time it was, how much pace they were finding because of it.

"But I definitely know that they gave them a penalty for a reason.

"There is definitely a lot of workload for the driver, changing brake balance throughout a grand prix, and if you can avoid that, it's definitely helpful."

Previous article Red Bull's Alex Albon explains "frustrating" Mexico practice crash
Next article Renault voices 'wild west' F1 fears without code of conduct

Top Comments

Latest news