F1 visor tear-off ban still being disputed at Monaco Grand Prix

The decision to impose a tear-off strip ban in Formula 1 set to be introduced at this weekend's Monaco Grand Prix remains up in the air

F1 visor tear-off ban still being disputed at Monaco Grand Prix

Ahead of the weekend, it was decided that drivers were not allowed to throw the tear-off strips away and were required to find alternative ways of disposal.

Mercedes executive technical director Paddy Lowe said on Thursday that a decision had been made to allow drivers to use two tear-offs during a race, but it has emerged that further discussions are taking place regarding the ban.

The subject was discussed at the drivers' briefing on Thursday with Daniil Kvyat revealing talks were continuing.

"There is some optimisation going on between the FIA and the teams to try and work out the best solution," he said.

"The last thing you want on a track like Monaco is to be blinded by the oil which goes between layers of tear-offs."

Jenson Button described the ban as "a bit silly" and Kvyat agreed and suggested the discussions were childish.

"It's a bit of kindergarden talk to be honest," he said.

"Whether we use one, two or 10, for me it's quite straightforward - you need to use tear-offs on track sometimes.

"On lap two or three, especially if you're not on pole and you're following many other cars, there is so much oil coming that you urgently need to take a strip off.

"You cannot box [pit] for that on lap three or four because you lose your race.

"If the FIA really wants us to do it, they should come up with something that will explain how to keep it inside [the car] or it will not happen.

"For safety reasons, for the vision, we need it.

"We can have an agreement where we use as few as possible, but when it's really necessary we need to use them."

shares
comments
Mercedes F1 team knows Red Bull Monaco Grand Prix threat is real
Previous article

Mercedes F1 team knows Red Bull Monaco Grand Prix threat is real

Next article

Monaco Grand Prix: FIA makes U-turn on tear-offs ban

Monaco Grand Prix: FIA makes U-turn on tear-offs ban
How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine Plus

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine

OPINION: Ferrari won the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz, but it ultimately cost Charles Leclerc a chance to make a bigger dent in Max Verstappen's title lead by leaving the Monegasque out on old tyres towards the end. Like Monaco, indecision over strategy proved to be the Scuderia's biggest issue - and if the team doesn't reflect, the headache can only intensify

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Formula 1
Jul 4, 2022
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team Plus

Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team

On Tuesday, Red Bull laid out its plans to develop and build a new hypercar - the RB17 - penned by Adrian Newey. As the project itself sates Newey as a creative outlet, it also offers Red Bull's Formula 1 team a number of new and exciting avenues to pursue

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022