F1 fails to agree qualifying system change, rules out 2015 format

Formula 1 bosses failed to agree on changing the grand prix qualifying system but it has become clear a return to the 2015 format is not an option

F1 fails to agree qualifying system change, rules out 2015 format

Team principals, F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, FIA president Jean Todt and Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery met in the Bahrain Grand Prix paddock on Sunday morning to discuss a way forward.

F1 'will look like fools' if qualifying isn't fixed - Wolff

During a 90-minute meeting, a completely new idea - the details of which are currently unclear - was put on the table that will now be analysed by the teams and discussed at another meeting on Thursday.

The teams want a return to the 2015 format but the FIA and commercial rights holder FOM are not prepared to do that.

The FIA and FOM feel reverting to the old system would be more confusing for fans, though it is believed this view is not widely shared by the team bosses.

"They said 2015 is not acceptable for them as it was not good enough," said Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.

Several proposals were discussed, but according to Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams a previously mooted hybrid format of Q1 and Q2 remaining in 2016 elimination spec and Q3 returning to 2015 style was not backed.

"Most people believed it would not achieve what we wanted to achieve," she said.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner said one of ideas was "perhaps with an aggregate time of two laps rather than a single lap but it needs to be properly thought out".

There is now a brand new proposal on the table that was put forward by governing body the FIA.

Following analysis of that proposal in the coming days, Autosport understands a vote will be taken on two options - introducing the new proposal or staying with the elimination format in its current form.

"It's a well thought-through proposal the FIA has come up with," said Williams.

"Hopefully it will be a solution that will work for everybody, that will be easy for our fans to understand and will also see more cars out on track."

There is a consensus among F1's bosses that the next move needs to be a successful and final solution, rather than a knee-jerk reaction that experiments with the format but risks alienating more fans.

According to Horner, there was agreement among all parties that the elimination format in its current form does not work.

"The bottom line is if we don't agree to a compromise, then we're stuck with what we've got and everybody agrees that what we've got is not right," he said.

The majority feel that progress has been made despite a solution yet to have been agreed.

"Everybody stuck to their position for a while and we moved to something that potentially could fulfil what is requested," said McLaren racing director Eric Boullier.

shares
comments
Daniil Kvyat cannot explain lack of "trust' in his Red Bull F1 car

Previous article

Daniil Kvyat cannot explain lack of "trust' in his Red Bull F1 car

Next article

Aggregate qualifying format proposed for F1, teams to evaluate

Aggregate qualifying format proposed for F1, teams to evaluate
Load comments
The times that suggest Verstappen should be confident of F1 Russian GP recovery Plus

The times that suggest Verstappen should be confident of F1 Russian GP recovery

For the second race in a row, Mercedes has ended the first day of track action on top. It’s in a commanding position at the Russian Grand Prix once again – this time largely thanks to Max Verstappen’s upcoming engine-change grid penalty. But there’s plenty to suggest all hope is not lost for the championship leader at Sochi

The ‘backwards step’ that is the right move for Formula 1 Plus

The ‘backwards step’ that is the right move for Formula 1

OPINION: With its days apparently numbered, the MGU-H looks set to be dropped from Formula 1’s future engine rules in order to entice new manufacturers in. While it may appear a change of direction, the benefits for teams and fans could make the decision a worthwhile call

Formula 1
Sep 23, 2021
The floundering fortunes of F1’s many Lotus reboots Plus

The floundering fortunes of F1’s many Lotus reboots

Team Lotus ceased to exist in 1994 - and yet various parties have been trying to resurrect the hallowed name, in increasingly unrecognisable forms, ever since. DAMIEN SMITH brings GP Racing’s history of the legendary team to an end with a look at those who sought to keep the flame alive in Formula 1

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2021
Why the 2021 title fight is far from F1's worst, despite its toxic background Plus

Why the 2021 title fight is far from F1's worst, despite its toxic background

OPINION: Formula 1 reconvenes for the Russian Grand Prix two weeks after the latest blow in ‘Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton’. While the Silverstone and Monza incidents were controversial, they thankfully lacked one element that so far separates the 2021 title fight from the worst examples of ugly championship battles

Formula 1
Sep 22, 2021
How F1’s other champion to emerge from 1991 thrived at Lotus Plus

How F1’s other champion to emerge from 1991 thrived at Lotus

Mika Hakkinen became Michael Schumacher’s biggest rival in Formula 1 in the late-90s and early 2000s, having also made his F1 debut in 1991. But as MARK GALLAGHER recalls, while Schumacher wowed the world with a car that was eminently capable, Hakkinen was fighting to make his mark with a famous team in terminal decline

Formula 1
Sep 21, 2021
The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey  Plus

The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey 

Before Michael Schumacher – or anyone else – had driven the 191 (or 911 as it was initially called), Eddie Jordan turned to a fellow Irishman to test his new Formula 1 car. JOHN WATSON, a grand prix winner for Penske and McLaren, recalls his role in the birth of a legend…

Formula 1
Sep 20, 2021
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021