Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Coulthard: Red Bull must do better in 2007

David Coulthard says his Red Bull Formula One team must raise their game this season or pay the price of failure

"We have to achieve more, otherwise people will have to be replaced," the Scot told reporters on the sidelines of a news conference to launch a partnership with Swiss technology conglomerate Oerlikon.

"This season has to be better than the last and it will be better than the last," added the 35-year-old, now the oldest driver on the starting grid and possibly entering his final season in the sport.

Coulthard, who joined Red Bull from McLaren at the end of 2004 and took the team's first podium in 2006, has a contract to the end of the year.

The driver said he was optimistic about the team's prospects, with top designer Adrian Newey's first car for the team since joining from McLaren a year ago. Red Bull finished seventh overall last season.

"Having Adrian at the helm focuses the minds of talented engineers and our partnership with Renault is good. Geographically it works better for us," he said.

Red Bull have traded their Ferrari engines for Renault ones and have signed experienced Australian Mark Webber from Williams as Coulthard's teammate in place of young Austrian Christian Klien.

"My 13 wins have all been in Adrian's cars. This is a chance to renew the partnership. These are exciting times. Now we have to see the lap times and how competitive the car is," said Coulthard.

The new Renault-powered RB3, due to be unveiled in Barcelona on Friday, is an all-new car to last year's disappointing machine.

Previous article Vettel feeling no added pressure
Next article Customer cars row set for Oz showdown

Top Comments

Latest news