Carlos Sainz Jr takes Fernando Alonso's McLaren F1 drive for 2019

McLaren has announced Carlos Sainz Jr will race for it in the 2019 Formula 1 season, replacing the outgoing Fernando Alonso

Carlos Sainz Jr takes Fernando Alonso's McLaren F1 drive for 2019

As reported by Autosport, Sainz emerged as a favoured choice by McLaren as it assessed its options for 2019, when it will lose two-time world champion Alonso from its F1 line-up.

McLaren has now confirmed Sainz as one of its 2019 drivers on a multi-year deal.

"We're incredibly excited to have Carlos join us as a McLaren driver," said McLaren CEO Zak Brown.

"We've been assessing him for some time now and rate him very highly among the next generation of young talent emerging through the ranks in Formula 1."

The main complication McLaren faced with Sainz was his contractual situation with Red Bull.

Sainz is on loan from Red Bull at Renault this season but his long-time backer retained an option to recall him to the senior team until September.

With Daniel Ricciardo making the shock decision to quit Red Bull for Renault, taking Sainz's seat, McLaren had to wait until Red Bull decided whether to promote Sainz or Pierre Gasly.

Thursday's confirmation that Sainz will race for McLaren next season means Red Bull has relinquished its option early and indicates it has committed to Toro Rosso driver Gasly partnering Max Verstappen in 2019.

Sainz said: "I'm delighted to finally be able to confirm that I'll be a McLaren driver from the 2019 season.

"It's something I've been looking at for a while and I'm very excited about this next chapter in my career."

Sainz is a proven operator in F1's midfield and gives McLaren a good insurance policy as it debates what to do with the drivers already on its books.

Reserve driver Lando Norris, Mercedes junior Esteban Ocon and current McLaren racer Stoffel Vandoorne are all linked to the second seat.

The team says it will announce its second driver "in due course".

McLaren is unconvinced by Vandoorne, who has been comfortably eclipsed as Alonso's team-mate, but has also appeared uncertain about when to promote reserve driver Lando Norris.

As Alonso's exit meant both McLaren drives became available instead of one, Formula 2 title challenger Norris now has a much more concrete chance to race in F1 next year.

He is believed to face competition from current Force India driver Ocon, whom Mercedes is looking to place somewhere on loan.

Mercedes had attempted to send Ocon to Renault, but Ricciardo's move scotched that.

It has therefore revived negotiations with McLaren, having previously considered it a viable destination for Ocon before it pushed him towards Renault.

Vandoorne's chances of staying in F1 appear limited if he is dropped by McLaren.

He could try to take advantage of the Gasly and Sainz moves to force himself into Toro Rosso but that would require Red Bull taking the unusual step of picking up a driver rejected by one of its rivals.

Alternatively, he may turn to Sauber - now run by Fred Vasseur, whose ART squad took Vandoorne to the 2015 GP2 title. Sauber also features Vandoorne's manager Alessandro Alunni Bravi in its ownership structure.


shares
comments
Italian GP travel guide with Thomas Cook Sport
Previous article

Italian GP travel guide with Thomas Cook Sport

Next article

Replacing Alonso at McLaren for 2019 'particularly special' - Sainz

Replacing Alonso at McLaren for 2019 'particularly special' - Sainz
The inconvenient truth about F1’s ‘American driver’ dream Plus

The inconvenient truth about F1’s ‘American driver’ dream

OPINION: The Formula 1 grid's wait for a new American driver looks set to continue into 2023 as the few remaining places up for grabs - most notably at McLaren - look set to go elsewhere. This is despite the Woking outfit giving tests to IndyCar aces recently, showing that the Stateside single-seater series still has some way to go to being seen as a viable feeder option for F1

How a bad car creates the ultimate engineering challenge Plus

How a bad car creates the ultimate engineering challenge

While creating a car that is woefully off the pace is a nightmare scenario for any team, it inadvertently generates the test any engineering department would relish: to turn it into a winner. As Mercedes takes on that challenge in Formula 1 this season, McLaren’s former head of vehicle engineering reveals how the team pulled of the feat in 2009 with Lewis Hamilton

Formula 1
Aug 15, 2022
The under-fire F1 driver fighting for his future Plus

The under-fire F1 driver fighting for his future

Personable, articulate 
and devoid of the usual
 racing driver airs and graces,
 Nicholas Latifi is the last Formula 1 driver you’d expect to receive death threats, but such was the toxic legacy of his part in last year’s explosive season finale. And now, as ALEX KALINAUCKAS explains, he faces a battle to keep his place on the F1 grid…

Formula 1
Aug 13, 2022
The strange tyre travails faced by F1’s past heroes Plus

The strange tyre travails faced by F1’s past heroes

Modern grand prix drivers like to think the tyres they work with are unusually difficult and temperamental. But, says  MAURICE HAMILTON, their predecessors faced many of the same challenges – and some even stranger…

Formula 1
Aug 12, 2022
The returning fan car revolution that could suit F1 Plus

The returning fan car revolution that could suit F1

Gordon Murray's Brabham BT46B 'fan car' was Formula 1 engineering at perhaps its most outlandish. Now fan technology has been successfully utilised on the McMurtry Speirling at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, could it be adopted by grand prix racing once again?

Formula 1
Aug 11, 2022
Hamilton's first experience of turning silver into gold Plus

Hamilton's first experience of turning silver into gold

The seven-time Formula 1 world champion has been lumbered with a duff car before the 2022 Mercedes. Back in 2009, McLaren’s alchemists transformed the disastrous MP4-24 into a winning car with Lewis Hamilton at the wheel. And now it’s happening again at his current team, but can the rate of progress be matched this year?

Formula 1
Aug 11, 2022
Why few could blame Leclerc for following the example of Hamilton’s exit bombshell Plus

Why few could blame Leclerc for following the example of Hamilton’s exit bombshell

OPINION: Ferrari's numerous strategy blunders, as well as some of his own mistakes, have cost Charles Leclerc dearly in the 2022 Formula 1 title battle in the first half of the season. Though he is locked into a deal with Ferrari, few could blame Leclerc if he ultimately wanted to look elsewhere - just as Lewis Hamilton did with McLaren 10 years prior

Formula 1
Aug 9, 2022
The other McLaren exile hoping to follow Perez's path to a top F1 seat Plus

The other McLaren exile hoping to follow Perez's path to a top F1 seat

After being ditched by McLaren earlier in his F1 career Sergio Perez fought his way back into a seat with a leading team. BEN EDWARDS thinks the same could be happening to another member of the current grid

Formula 1
Aug 8, 2022