Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Feature
Formula 1
Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

The fine lines that denied "faster" Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
The fine lines that denied "faster" Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Supercars Symmons Plains: Feeney halts winless run with dominant display

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Feeney halts winless run with dominant display

Antonelli and Russell clear the air after F1 Canadian GP sprint race clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli and Russell clear the air after F1 Canadian GP sprint race clash

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Carlos Sainz Jr hopes test can convince Red Bull he's ready for F1

Formula Renault 3.5 champion Carlos Sainz Jr believes his test with Red Bull on Tuesday was important for him to prove that he deserves a drive in Formula 1

The Spaniard became the first Red Bull junior to win the FR3.5 title this year, but his graduation to an F1 seat has been in doubt since the energy drinks firm signed Formula 3 rookie Max Verstappen to a Toro Rosso race seat for 2015.

Sainz appears to be in the running to partner Verstappen, with current Toro Rosso driver Jean-Eric Vergne and 2014 FR3.5 runner-up Pierre Gasly also in contention.

The battle to drive for Toro Rosso in 2015

Speaking to the media at Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina circuit after his test on Tuesday, Sainz said: "I think it was an important test for me to let Red Bull know the step forward I did compared to last year.

"I'm not hearing much [about the future], I'm just waiting for them to make a decision.

"I'm sure they'll make the correct decision, and obviously I would like it to be me.

"Hopefully now they know me a bit better and they can choose me.

"I'm happy, and I think I did a good job. No mistakes - obviously that was the main target."

Sainz said it was too early for him to gauge his pace on the day, as he was following the team's test programme.

"In testing you never know," he said. "With this year's car you can be three or four seconds quicker just with a couple of clicks to change things.

"Everything can affect [the performance], so I will wait to get a reference from the team and then I will check.

"There were no problems at all. It was quite an extensive programme.

"The morning was going around doing some aero checks, and in the afternoon I could push a little bit more.

"I think it was the ideal plan to get used to the car, and I'm really grateful for Red Bull to give me this chance to push a bit."

This week's Abu Dhabi test was Sainz's first proper running in a contemporary F1 car since he drove with Red Bull and Toro Rosso at Silverstone in the summer of 2013.

Previous article Abu Dhabi F1 test: Valtteri Bottas leads, trouble for McLaren-Honda
Next article Kimi Raikkonen says ex-Ferrari F1 boss was doing a good job

Top Comments

Latest news