Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

BRDC Wants F1 Deal by End-October

Silverstone's owners gave a cautious welcome on Wednesday to the troubled British Grand Prix's inclusion on the 2005 Formula One calendar.

Silverstone's owners gave a cautious welcome on Wednesday to the troubled British Grand Prix's inclusion on the 2005 Formula One calendar.

The British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) warned in a statement however that a deal still needed to be wrapped up by the end of the month for commercial reasons.

"The announcement by the FIA in Paris today that the 2005 British Grand Prix has been granted a provisional date on July 3 is progress," the BRDC said.

"We have received a draft promoters' contract from FOM (Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management) but, as yet, no deal has been concluded," it added.

"We are in discussions with FOM and any resulting contract will need to be finalised by the end of the month so that the organisation of the 2005 British Grand Prix is not commercially compromised.

"We are pleased with progress so far and will continue negotiations that we hope will conclude with a financially viable British Grand Prix which in turn will help create a platform for sustainable development of Silverstone."

The governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) published a calendar with an unprecedented 19 races on Wednesday but with asterisks against three - Britain, France and San Marino - pending the resolution of contract issues.

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone controls the commercial rights for the British Grand Prix but has said he will not promote the race itself.

Last month the 73-year-old threatened to take the race off the calendar, for the first time since the Formula One Championship started in 1950, after the BRDC made an offer that fell short of his financial demands.

Since then the two sides have been negotiating, despite a bid by a little-known consortium backed by former champion Nigel Mansell, to resolve their differences.

British Sports Minister Richard Caborn said on Tuesday that he hoped a two-year deal would be finalised soon.

Previous article Pizzonia Stays Ahead at Jerez - Day Two
Next article DC's BAR hopes fading

Top Comments