DC's BAR hopes fading
David Coulthard's hopes of securing a drive with BAR in 2005 appear to have been dashed after team principal David Richards indicated he would opt to promote test driver Anthony Davidson should Jenson Button switch to Williams next year
Coulthard's last hopes of securing a competitive drive in next year's championship thus rest on the outcome of a meeting of the Contracts Recognition Board in Milan, on Saturday, which will decide whether BAR-Honda or BMW WilliamsF1 has a legitimate claim to Button in 2005. Wherever the Englishman ends up, there will be a top-line seat available and now it appears that Coulthard's best hope may rest with his former team Williams.
"If our claims are successful we'll carry on with Button and Sato," Richards told Italy's Autosprint magazine. "Otherwise in place of Jenson I really think that I'll go with Anthony Davidson as race driver. During the Friday tests he's always shown terrific potential."
Coulthard has made no secret of his desire to remain in Formula 1 and had a two-year agreement with Jaguar Racing lined up before Ford pulled the plug on the team last month.
"I hope Brazil won't be my last grand prix because I certainly don't feel ready to retire," he said in Japan last weekend. "I've still got the speed, motivation and overtaking ability."
Coulthard faces stiff opposition for the Williams drive however as test driver Antonio Pizzonia is believed to be the favoured option should Button remain at BAR. Not only that, but Davidson has been assessed favourably by Williams management and German driver Nick Heidfeld is also thought to be in the frame.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments