Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Aston Martin hasn’t updated its F1 car since March

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Aston Martin hasn’t updated its F1 car since March

BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Cammish fastest from Ingram in hot conditions

Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Norris points out a key problem with F1 2026's energy management demands

Can anyone stop Reddick from lifting the NASCAR Cup title?

Feature
NASCAR Cup
Can anyone stop Reddick from lifting the NASCAR Cup title?

Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fenestraz wins chaotic opening race

Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Who qualifies for ADUO? Red Bull shares its F1 power unit pecking order

The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
The details in Mercedes' Montreal F1 updates

Supercars Symmons Plains: Toyota pair Mostert and Heimgartner share wins

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Toyota pair Mostert and Heimgartner share wins

Belgian GP: Caterham fined, Webber and Schumacher escape penalties, for pit incidents

Caterham has been given a €10,000 fine for releasing Heikki Kovalainen from the pits in an unsafe manner during the Belgian Grand Prix, but other pit incidents involving Mark Webber and Michael Schumacher were not punished

Kovalainen made contact with Narain Karthikeyan's HRT in the lap-14 incident. The clash damaged the Caterham's nose, prompting an additional pitstop and contributing to Kovalainen's disappointing 17th-place finish.

Caterham Group chief executive Riad Asmat admitted the team had made a mistake.

"This has been a tough race for the team and it is fair to say we have not helped ourselves with a number of avoidable errors costing us over the weekend," he said.

The stewards said Caterham had accepted responsibility: "The team admitted to the stewards that it considered itself at fault in causing the unsafe release and apologised to HRT accordingly. The stewards did not consider that any sporting advantage was gained."

Webber and Red Bull had also been investigated for an unsafe release after a near-miss with Felipe Massa's Ferrari on lap 27.

The Australian had been confident there was no transgression, and the stewards agreed.

"It was OK. I knew I had Felipe there," said Webber.

"I rolled out of it a little bit to let him merge back in, and then took the fast lane."

A stewards' statement backed Webber's view: "The stewards noted the evidence that indicated the driver of car #2 [Webber] was aware of the approach of car #6 [Massa] into the pitlane and deliberately, after being released, kept to the right and momentarily lifted throttle to allow car #6 to enter its pit unimpeded, before car #2 turned out into the fast lane."

The stewards also looked into a moment on lap 19 when Schumacher cut across Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull to dive into the pits while they were engaged in a wheel-to-wheel battle, but again felt no action was required.

"Red Bull Racing admitted to the stewards that their instruction to the driver of car #1 [Vettel] was to 'do the opposite of car #7 [Schumacher]'. Therefore when car #7 headed for the pit entry car #1 aborted its entry to the pits," said the officials' statement.

Previous article Belgian GP: Lotus Sunday quotes
Next article Belgian GP: Romain Grosjean accepts being banned for Spa start crash

Top Comments

Latest news