Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why drivers may not get their wish as F1 2027 power unit talks hit obstacles

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why drivers may not get their wish as F1 2027 power unit talks hit obstacles

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Formula 1
Canadian GP
The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Alonso: Fighting Red Bull unrealistic

Fernando Alonso says it is not realistic to expect to be able to fight with the Red Bulls in the Spanish Grand Prix tomorrow

The Ferrari driver qualified in fourth position, nearly a second behind pole-setter Mark Webber, who gave his team the fifth pole in as many races this year.

And while Alonso is hopeful he will be closer in the race, he reckons Red Bull is likely to be untouchable tomorrow.

"We have not been perfect in terms of grip and downforce-wise," said Alonso after qualifying. "And also set-up wise we've been not totally confident with the car all weekend. But in Q3 more or less we found the right compromise and the lap in Q3 the car was quite good to maximise our potential.

"Tomorrow in the race hopefully the performance will be closer to the Red Bulls. We've had very strong race pace so we hope tomorrow to be a little bit closer.

"Iif you are two or three tenths behind you maybe can fight for victory, but if you are a second behind you can only expect to be not too far away. In normal conditions Red Bull is favourite for tomorrow.

"We arrive into the race with a lot of confidence, knowing that we can have some opportunities to be on the podium. We just need to take them."

The Spaniard, who was involved in an incident with Nico Rosberg when leaving the pitlane, reckons he did not deserve a penalty, especially judging by how other pitlane incidents have been treated during the first races of the season.

Rosberg called for a penalty for Alonso on the radio and race stewards are looking into the incident.

"First of all I didn't see Nico, unfortunately," he said. "The angle of vision is not perfect to see anyone coming down the pitlane, so you rely on your mechanic.

"Then if there is a penalty for this we need to reconsider some of the grands prix we've had so far, in terms of penalties in the pitlane. And third, in case of a penalty, since it's a safety thing in the pitlane it's normally a fine for the team, so hopefully there isn't any of these cases."

Previous article Lotus eyes midfield after step forward
Next article Spain Saturday quotes: Williams

Top Comments

Latest news