The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has temporarily suspended the Williams team, following its decision to formally enter the 2010 Formula One World Championship, according to a statement released by the team.
Sources told AUTOSPORT in Monaco that current teams had been informed by FOTA representatives that if they entered the championship unilaterally they would be suspended from the organisation.
The decision was taken during a meeting of F1's team principals in London on Wednesday, where they were in talks to discuss their position ahead of Friday's entry deadline for the 2010 championship.
The teams wrote a letter to FIA president Max Mosley on Sunday night, informing him that they were united in their efforts to get the 2010 regulations changed. Furthermore they added that should the FIA agree to scrapping the current rules framework they would commit to racing in F1 until 2010.
Frank Williams, Team Principal said of the decision: "FOTA's decision, although regrettable, is understandable.
"However, as a racing team and a company whose only business is Formula 1, with obligations to our partners and our employees, submitting our entry to next year's championship was unquestionable.
"In addition, we are legally obliged under our contract with FOM and the FIA to participate in the World Championship until the end of 2012."