Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone says it is unlikely that he will extend the contract for the Australian Grand Prix beyond 2010, with event organisers reluctant to make it a night race.
Ecclestone made it clear earlier this year that the future of the race would depend on it becoming a night race, so the event could take place at a time more suitable for a European television audience.
However, with Melbourne organisers not keen to make the switch because of the high costs involved in lighting a track, Ecclestone has suggested that F1 could drop the Australian GP when the current contract comes to an end.
Speaking to the Mail on Sunday, Ecclestone said: "The only way the race could stay in Melbourne, or anywhere else in Australia, is if it is staged during the night so that the public in Europe can watch it.
"At the moment, it is ridiculous that people are asked not to sleep in order to see it live. That can't carry on.
"The alternative is to pull the race completely from Australia. I've spoken to (new prime minister) Kevin Rudd and he's told me it would cost too much to re-stage the race, so I guess that's it. We won't be going to Australia for too much longer."