Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC race winner Lloyd replaces Dorlin at Restart Racing

Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

WRC
Champion rally driver Fiorio dies aged 61

Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Feature
Formula 1
Switch off or ramp up? How the smartest F1 drivers managed the summer break

Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

WEC
Ford reveals new LMDh car on track at Paul Ricard

Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

National
Worm's Eye View is Polley's triple Formula Vee winning perspective at Silverstone

Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

National
Dickens defeats the Bentleys after intriguing Silverstone Allcomers tale

The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Feature
Formula E
London ePrix II
The team orders debacle that made for a controversial Formula E title decider

Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Honda's F1 project looks completely different from its Red Bull years

Coughlan confided with several colleagues

McLaren chief designer Mike Coughlan has confided with several of his team colleagues about secret Ferrari documents in his possession, according to a report in Italy today

The Italian daily newspaper La Repubblica quotes from what it claims to be Coughlan's affidavit, which was handed to Ferrari on Wednesday as part of the team's legal proceedings in England.

The affidavit was provided to Ferrari under condition that they will not hand it over to the Italian authorities, who are currently running a criminal investigation on related matters.

Moreover, only Ferrari and the FIA are understood to have had access to the affidavit, which is not even available in the London High Court records.

According to La Repubblica, Coughlan confirms in his affidavit that he had Ferrari's technical drawings and internal documentation in his possession.

Coughlan also allegedly reveals that he showed these documents to several people at McLaren - and not just to managing director Jonathan Neale, as had previously been known.

According to La Repubblica, Coughlan states that all McLaren employees responded in the same manner, by distancing themselves from these documents and advising him to destroy them.

Furthermore, Coughlan has reportedly not confirmed that his source for the documents was indeed ex-Ferrari engineer Nigel Stepney, and the newspaper only cites Coughlan as saying he received the documents via an express courier mail service.

The extent of the knowledge of Coughlan's activities inside McLaren is still uncertain, with even Ferrari admitting they are not yet sure who within the team knew about it.

Ferrari lawyer Massimiliano Maestretti told RAI television that there is still some uncertainty regarding who knew about the documents and just when some of them were delivered to Coughlan.

"We don't know what Neale's role is, but we know he was aware Coughlan had the documents and he likely saw part of those documents," said Maestretti.

"The McLaren statement mentioned the documents were received at the end of April, but we have proof that there were more later than that with a May date."

McLaren have been summoned to appear before the FIA to answer charges of 'fraudulent conduct' over Coughlan's possession of the Ferrari documents.

The team have insisted several times, however, that they have done nothing wrong.

A statement issued by the outfit on Thursday, following news of the FIA summoning, said that the 780-page technical dossier at the centre of the controversy was solely the responsibility of Coughlan.

"The documents and confidential information were only in the possession of one currently suspended employee on an unauthorised basis and no element of it has been used in relation to McLaren's Formula One cars," said the statement.

Previous article Trulli not expecting podiums in 2007
Next article Theissen optimistic about KERS delay

Top Comments