Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso is set to make a sensational return to Renault, with a two-year deal expected to be announced as early as Wednesday.
Alonso raced for Renault in 2003-06, winning the F1 world championship in the last two seasons, before returning to the team in 2008-09.
While much has changed at Renault over the past decade there are still many people at Enstone who know him well from his previous stints with the team, including veteran sporting director Alan Permane.
He will also be reunited with current Renault technical director Pat Fry, with whom he worked with at both McLaren and Ferrari.
With Daniel Ricciardo leaving Renault at the end of the season to join McLaren, following Carlos Sainz Jr's move to Ferrari to replace Sebastian Vettel, Renault had been assessing its options to partner Esteban Ocon for 2021.
Last week team boss Cyril Abiteboul confirmed that Renault had been talking to "big names", although he declined to elaborate on the prospects for Alonso.
"We need a quick driver, and we need a driver that can understand and buy into Renault's project," he said.
"We are very clear about the nature of our team. We are a bit of a unique team in the F1 landscape, but at the same time also a young team, still in the making, with some struggles - in particular last year.
"So we need someone who's capable to understand all of that, and understand the value of all the work, effort and ethics we are putting into that. I'm not saying that Daniel [Ricciardo] has not understood that, that's absolutely not what I mean. I'm talking about the future.
"So we are talking to a few names, some big names, some lesser known names. We are taking the time, making sure there is a good alignment between what we are and what a team is looking to get in a team like ours."
Asked last week for his thoughts on Alonso as a potential team-mate in 2021, Ocon said he would be happy if it happened.
"My personal choice has no relation to what the team is going to do," said the Frenchman. "I have a great relationship with Fernando. The helmet I have and the only swap I did in between the drivers was with him.
"He was the one with Michael [Schumacher], his fights back in the day, that gave me the love for the sport.
"I don't know if he's going to join or not with us, but definitely if he could come back, I would be very happy."
Alonso, who turns 40 in July next year, last raced in F1 with McLaren in 2018 and his immediate focus is on contesting this year's Indy 500 with the Arrow McLaren SP team.
Autosport has produced a standalone special magazine to celebrate our 70th birthday. All current print subscribers will receive a copy for free. To order your copy of the 196-page Autosport 70th Anniversary issue, please go to: autosport.com/autosport70th