Martin Tomczyk described his current run of form as "the worst time in my career," after another dismal weekend in the DTM at Lausitz.
The 2011 series champion lay just four points behind eventual title winner Bruno Spengler halfway through last season, but endured a terrible second half to the campaign and failed to score a point in the final four races.
His 2013 campaign has started no better with a series of on-track incidents limiting the RMG BMW driver to a best finish of 13th.
"I had a very bad run in 2005, but my aims are different now; I'm trying to win races and championships," Tomczyk told AUTOSPORT. "And it's definitely getting desperate.
"After the way last year ended, you get to the winter, convince yourself that the bad things are over and now you're starting from zero it will all be OK.
"And then it keeps on happening."
Tomczyk looked likely to end a run of six straight races without a point when he qualified on pole at Brands Hatch in May.
But he was sent to the back of the grid after his car failed a post-race weight check and collided with Mercedes driver Roberto Merhi during the race, leading to his retirement.
Last weekend's Lausitz race featured a collision with RMG team-mate Andy Priaulx that led to a spin for Tomczyk, and a 19th-placed finish.
"I really thought the run had ended after Hockenheim when we got the pole at Brands, but it just carries on.
"It's the downside of motorsport. You never know when things will just stop and allow you to enjoy the races again.
"It is like it is at the moment and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. I just have to live with it and try to do the best I can about it."
Tomczyk's run of races without a point now stretches to eight. Prior to that he only failed to finish in the top 10 twice in 25 races, a run stretching over two complete seasons.
Tomczyk's dismal run in detail
• Zandvoort, August 2012: Given five-place grid penalty for following race for spinning Gary Paffett out of third at Tarzan. Retired.
• Oschersleben, September 2012: Five-place grid penalty for Zandvoort incident turns sixth on grid into 11th. Points finish lost to overheating car.
• Valencia, September 2012: Collides with Roberto Merhi's Mercedes at the start, putting both out.
• Hockenheim, October 2012: Finishes a lap down in 14th - behind Merhi - after more bumping and bashing during the race.
• Hockenheim, May 2013: Given drive-through penalty for jumping start and then gets into Paffett's bad books for appearing to brake-test him on the back straight with Bruno Spengler right alongside. Finishes 13th.
• Brands Hatch, May 2013: Disqualified from pole due to underweight car and spins down to eventual 13th spot after colliding with Merhi.
• Spielberg, June 2013: Points lost as he is forced wide onto grass at Turn 3 by Paffett early on and then spun into tyres by Merhi later. Does not finish.
• Lausitz, June 2013: Starts from back after suffering holed radiator and splitter damage in Q1. Collides with team-mate Andy Priaulx in race and spins on way to 19th.