The sending of split times to competing cars involved in the World Rally Championship has been banned by the FIA from the start of the 2015 season.
FIA rally director Jarmo Mahonen said the decision - predicted by AUTOSPORT last month - was taken in an effort to restrict the management of positions and gaps between cars, which the governing body believes has led to drivers not needing to push on every stage.
The FIA communication from Wednesday's World Motor Sport Council meeting stated: "From 2015, the transmission of performance data or information to or from a competing car, not in relation with safety, is forbidden during special stages to help promote greater competition."
The move was not a popular one among the teams and drivers, with significant concern at how the new policy will be policed.
Volkswagen team principal Jost Capito told AUTOSPORT: "It's the same for everybody, so OK. But you cannot stop this.
"It's impossible to police - what if somebody from our team shows a split time to [rival driver] Thierry Neuville? Is Neuville then out?
"It's uncontrollable and therefore we think it's stupid."
Mahonen said a draconian punishment would be enough.
"Of course we cannot police this 100 per cent, but the consequence will be a big enough deterrent," he said.
"If you get caught, you can be excluded from the championship. The manufacturers will not take the risk."