Starworks calls time on 2013 World Endurance Championship bid

The US Starworks Motorsport squad will not defend its LMP2 crown in this year's World Endurance Championship

Starworks calls time on 2013 World Endurance Championship bid

Starworks was due to miss this weekend's Silverstone WEC opener and this week withdrew its entry from the full championship and the Le Mans 24 Hours after failing to secure sponsorship for the season.

Team boss Peter Baron said: "We couldn't hold on any longer, so it made sense to regroup. Maybe we could have got it together for Le Mans, but then we would have been out of the championship and it would have been difficult to ramp up for just one race.

"It's better to pull out and start planning for the future, rather than being behind the eight ball for the rest of the season."

Starworks believed it had a promise of money from the Venezuelan government and associate sponsors, which funded its 2012 WEC campaign with a HPD ARX-03b.

But political uncertainty in the country resulting from the illness and subsequent death of president Hugo Chavez meant the funds have yet to materialise.

Baron said that the team, which is continuing in the Grand-Am Daytona Prototype division, could return to P2 later this season should the funds materialise.

"The sponsors are still on board and if and when the money comes through we can start procuring kit," Baron explained. "If it comes through soon enough, we could look at doing some American Le Mans Series races and maybe the WEC race at the Circuit of the Americas [in September].

"It is crushing not being out there, but we will back for sure because the WEC is the ultimate for us."

Starworks had planned to contest the WEC with Venezuelan Alex Popow and expatriate Briton Ryan Dalziel driving another HPD ARX-03b. The car it ran last year was owned by Enzo Potolicchio and subsequently sold to the Extreme Speed Motorsports squad.

The delay in funding meant the team was unable to purchase another chassis, which forced it to explore options to lease a car for the start of the season.

The withdrawal means that the Swiss Morand Racing, which is contesting the European Le Mans Series this year, moves up from the reserve list with its Morgan-Judd/BMW LMP2.

HVM Status GP has retained its place on the Le Mans entry list, despite pulling its Lola-Judd/BMW B12/80 LMP2 from the WEC after failing to secure a budget last week.

The US Level 5 Motorsports squad also remains on the entry with a solo HPD after confirming its participation in the remainder of the ALMS.

shares
comments
Audi and Sebring: a fond farewell
Previous article

Audi and Sebring: a fond farewell

Next article

Deltawing coupe race debut set back from Laguna Seca ALMS round

Deltawing coupe race debut set back from Laguna Seca ALMS round
Load comments
Why Le Mans didn't decide Toyota's WEC title outcome in 2021 Plus

Why Le Mans didn't decide Toyota's WEC title outcome in 2021

Mike Conway, Kamui Kobayashi and Jose Maria Lopez scored a second successive World Endurance Championship title in the #7 Toyota, as its new Le Mans Hypercar went unbeaten. Autosport recaps how each of the four classes in the 2021 season were won and picks out the best LMH and GTE drivers

WEC
Nov 28, 2021
The unanswered questions that define WEC 2021's controversial ending Plus

The unanswered questions that define WEC 2021's controversial ending

OPINION: The deeply unsatisfying ending to a brilliant World Endurance Championship GTE Pro battle in Bahrain had Ferrari provisionally heading back from the desert as the victor. But Porsche plans to appeal the outcome, which rests on a number of confusing elements that have yet to be satisfactorily explained

WEC
Nov 9, 2021
How the WEC's heavyweight duel reached its controversial flashpoint Plus

How the WEC's heavyweight duel reached its controversial flashpoint

The Ferrari versus Porsche fight for the World Endurance Championship's GTE Pro title had been a finely-poised affair, right up until Alessandro Pier Guidi's punt on Michael Christensen in the closing stages of the Bahrain 8 Hours handed Ferrari a provisional title, pending Porsche's appeal. Here's how the controversy played out

WEC
Nov 8, 2021
The remarkable fixes Toyota used to avert another Le Mans disaster Plus

The remarkable fixes Toyota used to avert another Le Mans disaster

The 1-2 finish achieved by Toyota at this year's Le Mans 24 Hours was a result that will have surprised few, given its status as pre-event favourite. But the result was anything but straightforward, as worsening fuel pressure concerns required the team's drivers and engineers to pursue "creative fixes" on the fly. Here is the full story of how it reached the end without a lengthy pit visit

Le Mans
Nov 3, 2021
How the #7 Toyota squad moved closer to clinching WEC's 2021 title Plus

How the #7 Toyota squad moved closer to clinching WEC's 2021 title

In the penultimate round of the 2021 World Endurance Championship, a better run of tyre wear for Mike Conway, Jose Maria Lopez and Kamui Kobayashi brought the Toyota trio its third win from five events, as the #7 squad put one hand on the title. Here's how the first of the WEC's two Bahrain enduros played out

WEC
Nov 1, 2021
The 10 greatest drives of lost legend Jo Siffert Plus

The 10 greatest drives of lost legend Jo Siffert

It's 50 years since Jo Siffert was killed in his prime at Brands Hatch. The Swiss scored just two world championship wins in a Formula 1 career spent largely with privateer teams, but showed on numerous occasions in single-seaters and in sportscars with Porsche that he could beat any of the best drivers of his era given the right equipment

Formula 1
Oct 24, 2021
Inside the Le Mans finish too barmy for Hollywood Plus

Inside the Le Mans finish too barmy for Hollywood

Team WRT has been at the forefront of GT racing for years and made a successful move to prototypes for 2021, capped by an LMP2 win on its Le Mans debut. It could've been even better had the race been one lap shorter, when its cars ran 1-2, but the stranger-than-fiction reality has spurred the team to reach greater heights

Le Mans
Oct 16, 2021
The standout memories of Le Mans 2021 Plus

The standout memories of Le Mans 2021

OPINION: With four of the five Hypercar entries unproven in a 24-hour race, it would not have been unexpected for at least one of them to suffer serious reliability trouble. That they all managed to make it through the race relatively unscathed, says GARY WATKINS, was something of a surprise.

Le Mans
Aug 24, 2021