Simona de Silvestro gets Nissan deal for 2017 Supercars move

Former IndyCar and Formula E driver Simona de Silvestro has secured a Nissan seat for her full-time move to Australia's Supercars championship

Simona de Silvestro gets Nissan deal for 2017 Supercars move

Earlier this year the series announced that it had signed de Silvestro directly, having secured funding for a three-year programme aimed at increasing female representation, but had yet to place her at a team.

The 28-year-old from Switzerland has previously made two appearances in Supercars' showpiece Bathurst 1000 as part of an all-female team with Renee Gracie, and this year did so with Nissan's works outfit.

She has now completed a deal to stay on for the full 2017 season, replacing Dale Wood in the four-car line-up.

"I think the biggest thing is being a factory driver," said de Silvestro.

"It's great to have the trust from Nissan Motorsport to give me the chance to drive for them.

"I really enjoyed driving for them at Bathurst, I really enjoyed the car, so there were a lot of things I really liked.

"My expectations for next year in 2017: I think it's going to be a pretty big challenge for me.

"Like I've said before, most of my career has been in open wheel. The Nissan Altima was feeling pretty great at Bathurst, so I'm sure at the other tracks I'm going to be able to adapt a lot quicker."

De Silvestro's single-seater career included coming close to the 2009 Atlantic title, a podium finish in IndyCar and a stint as a Sauber Formula 1 protege.

Todd Kelly, co-owner of the Kelly squad that represents Nissan in Supercars, said bringing in a driver from the international scene was a milestone for the programme.

"To have built a race team that can attract a driver of Simona's international experience is a testament to the hard work of everyone here at Nissan Motorsport," said Kelly.

"I have been racing in Supercars since I was 17 years old and I've only really worked with cars from this category, so it's great to now have someone who has experienced motorsport from all around the world.

"It's exciting to be able to compare how we do things here to what Simona has experienced elsewhere.

"Simona's performance at Bathurst this year was outstanding.

"You could see in the data the amount of potential in Simona. So next year will be very exciting."

shares
comments
Jamie Whincup slates Bathurst penalty procedure as "a debacle"

Previous article

Jamie Whincup slates Bathurst penalty procedure as "a debacle"

Next article

Triple Eight Holden driver van Gisbergen wins first Supercars title

Triple Eight Holden driver van Gisbergen wins first Supercars title
Load comments
How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention Plus

How Randle went from fighting cancer to battling for Supercars contention

After his fledgling career was paused by a battle with testicular cancer, Thomas Randle then had to wrestle with finding a drive in Supercars after he got the all-clear. It's been a long road for the Melbourne native but, after two lengthy battles, he's finally got a full-time drive to look forward to

Supercars
Jun 25, 2021
How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle Plus

How crisis talks over Supercars’ Gen3 future could leave it without a paddle

With Supercars’ Gen3 era on the horizon, a shift is set to take place – in more ways than one – but, as has become clear in recent weeks, the plan to bin the stick and use paddles with electronic assisted shift has been met with fierce opposition

Supercars
May 23, 2021
Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske? Plus

Can DJR still be a Supercars powerhouse after Penske?

OPINION: Roger Penske's operation helped lift Dick Johnson's faltering Ford team back to the top of Australian tin-tops. But, despite The Captain's departure, along with star driver Scott McLaughlin, there's no reason to expect an imminent decline from DJR

Supercars
Feb 26, 2021
Why Whincup's next move is no calculated gamble Plus

Why Whincup's next move is no calculated gamble

Supercars' most successful team of the past 15 years is set for a radical shakeup next year when Jamie Whincup retires from driving and takes over the reins at Triple Eight. But the team's outgoing boss Roland Dane has full faith that he'll be up to the task

Supercars
Feb 5, 2021
The top 10 Supercars drivers of 2020 Plus

The top 10 Supercars drivers of 2020

In a year of few constants, the Australian Supercars championship could be relied upon for its usual blend of rough and tumble racing with a V8 soundtrack. But who were its top performers in 2020?

Supercars
Dec 27, 2020
The 'lifetime deal' that broke down in double quick time Plus

The 'lifetime deal' that broke down in double quick time

Last year, David Reynolds signed a decade-long deal with Erebus, seemingly pledging his long-term Supercars future to the team. One year on, "Decade Dave's" contract has been reduced to tatters, with an undercurrent of discontent having brewed in 2020

Supercars
Dec 18, 2020
How Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester" Plus

How Supercars now needs a new "human salt harvester"

Scott McLaughlin has been a divisive figure in Supercars over the past few years but, as he heads off to a fresh challenge in IndyCar, the Australian tin-top series needs to find someone else to fill his dramatic boots as the category enters a new era

Supercars
Oct 30, 2020
Why McLaughlin is wrong to label 2020 his best title Plus

Why McLaughlin is wrong to label 2020 his best title

OPINION: Scott McLaughlin was quick to describe his third Supercars title as his best yet. But even though it didn't match the dramatic backstory of his 2018 triumph, there's a good reason for him wanting to control the narrative this time around

Supercars
Oct 2, 2020