Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

De la Rosa for 3rd McLaren

Spanish driver Pedro de la Rosa has claimed he will drive the third McLaren on Friday at the season opening Australian Grand Prix next month.

De la Rosa also said his team has confirmed he will drive the third car both in Malaysia and Bahrain, the second and third rounds of the 2005 Championship. The season starts in Melbourne on 6 March.

"It's true that I've been guaranteed the seat for Australia, Malaysia and Bahrain," de la Rosa told Spanish daily As. "For the next races they will decide if it's Wurz or me. But at the moment I'm only thinking about those three races."

Under current regulations, the bottom six teams from the previous year are allowed to run a third car on Friday prior to each Grand Prix weekend. McLaren finished last year in fifth position in the Constructors' Championship, which means they will be allowed to run another car next season.

The team have de la Rosa and Alexander Wurz as test drivers, although the Austrian has had problems fitting inside the new MP4-20 and is yet to test the car. Wurz measures 1.82 meters and has had difficulties fitting into previous cars. De la Rosa is considerably shorter.

The 33-year old Catalan has been a McLaren tester since the 2003 season. He had previously raced for the Arrows and Jaguar teams, scoring six points in total.

Now the Spaniard is hoping the chance to test during Grand Prix weekends will help him towards a return to racing in 2006.

"That's my goal," de la Rosa said. "I don't know if I'll achieve it, but I'll try with all strength, as I usually do. I'm aware this is one of the final chances that I'll have to try to get back to racing, and I'm going to seize it."

Previous article Gascoyne Warns Rivals over Revised Toyota
Next article Stewart changes BRDC role

Top Comments

Latest news