Vickers blames Earnhardt for wreck
Brian Vickers blamed Dale Earnhardt Jr for a multi-car incident ignited by contact between both of them on lap 125 of the Daytona 500
Vickers was trying to fend off Earnhardt's attack as they battled for position on the track. Both were a lap down and right at the front of the field when the Red Bull driver got spun out by Earnhardt, causing a multi-car crash.
"We're all racing for the 'lucky dog' there," said Vickers referring to the NASCAR rule that allows the first car a lap down to get back on the lead lap during caution periods. "And my goal was to keep (Dale Earnhardt) Jr. behind me and I went to block him - I beat him to the yellow line and then he just turned us.
"He hit me the first time on the way down, which is fine, we all do that. Then when he came back up he just hooked me in the left rear and typically NASCAR penalises.
"I think the 38 (Jason Leffler) was penalised five laps yesterday for doing the same thing (during the Nationwide Series race). I guess they're not going to penalise him for it. It's kind of sad.
"To wreck somebody intentionally like that in front of the entire field is really kind of dangerous. That's my biggest problem with it, but apparently he wanted a caution pretty bad."
Vickers made reference to an incident that caused Jason Leffler to be held in the pits by officials for five laps due to aggressive driving during Saturday's Nationwide Series season-opener at Daytona. Leffler spun Steven Wallace out and another two cars were involved in the incident he ignited.
Earnhardt Jr insisted he was not to blame for the wreck, saying Vickers first forced him to drive below the double yellow line.
"Penalise me? For what?" Earnhardt said. "I got ran into and sent below the line. What the hell? I don't want to go down there, I didn't aim to go down there, and I got sent down there. What the hell am I supposed to do? Then what am I supposed to do? Stay down there? No. I got to get back up on the racetrack.
"It was unfortunate, man. If he wasn't so damn reckless, we would have never had that problem, that would never happen. As far as I am concerned, it is all his responsibility."
Earnhardt Jr had been penalised a few laps before the incident for a pit road violation, but he escaped any further penalties.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments