Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull went against Verstappen's set-up feedback: “Sometimes they have to feel it”

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Canadian GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen reignites quit threats amid doubts over 2027 F1 rule changes

Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Update: Hamilton avoids Canadian GP grid penalty for impeding Gasly

F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell beats Antonelli and Norris to last-gasp Montreal pole

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell leads Antonelli in Montreal

Oliveira still open to MotoGP Aprilia test role despite BMW WSBK deal

The Yamaha refugee could still test MotoGP machinery next year in spite of his WSBK race deal

Miguel Oliveira, Pramac Racing

Miguel Oliveira, Pramac Racing

Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images

Miguel Oliveira says the door on a possible MotoGP test role in 2026 is not closed, despite the news that he will be racing in WSBK next year.

Oliveira had lost his Pramac Yamaha MotoGP race seat for next season, following the extension of Jack Miller’s contract and the signing of Toprak Razgatlioglu. That led to the Portuguese rider signing a one-year deal with the factory BMW team in WSBK.

However, speaking ahead of this weekend’s Indonesian Grand Prix, the five-time MotoGP winner did not rule out a testing role for a MotoGP team in 2026. Aprilia is rumoured to be interested in his services, should the schedule allow.

“I don’t want to say goodbye yet, because there is this slight – maybe remote – chance, but who knows what could be possible in terms of the calendar,” Oliveira replied when asked about the testing rumours on Thursday.

“It [would be] a huge improvement for me as a rider to still be in touch with the GP bike. It can definitely help me to stay in shape for the WSBK. Even though it’s a different bike, it has a lot of tools and skills you can develop for the current season, and benefit from that.”

Aprilia’s development mileage has been significantly limited this year by a lack of riding resources. Jorge Martin has spent much of the season injured, as has Ai Ogura, who will join the Spaniard on the sidelines at Mandalika. In 2025 the factory has had only one dedicated test rider, Lorenzo Savadori.

Test rider Lorenzo Savadori has filled in at numerous 2025 races for Aprilia

Test rider Lorenzo Savadori has filled in at numerous 2025 races for Aprilia

Photo by: Burak Akbulut - Anadolu - Getty Images

Oliveira confirmed that there had been a test rider offer even before he committed to the BMW contract. But he said that his need to race still trumped other considerations when it came to his primary gig.

“The decisive factor for me was the desire to compete. That fire is still very much on, and the only way I could do it was in World Superbike. So, what I tried to do, was to look for the best competitive tools to do it. BMW felt like the right option for me.”

Beyond the possibility of testing next season, Oliveira doesn’t want to close the door on his MotoGP racing career either.

“I don’t say the ultimate goal is to come back. But for sure I leave the door open because MotoGP has been my life for the past 15 years of my racing career. So you don’t close the door and lock it completely, you know? There’s a door open for sure. And who knows what the future can hold for me if things go well in Superbike.”

Read Also:

Oliveira was one of two MotoGP riders to announce a WSBK deal this week. The other was current LCR Honda man Somkiat Chantra, who will become a factory rider with the Japanese manufacturer.

Chantra, who has had a difficult rookie season at Lucio Cecchinello’s satellite team, had known for some time that he would lose his seat to Diogo Moreira in 2026.

The deal, which will see him join fellow Moto2 winner Jake Dixon at the works squad, ensures the Thai rider remains within the broader Honda family.

Previous article MotoGP boss dismisses “completely unfounded” rumours about Moto2 and Moto3
Next article Bagnaia admits tech throwbacks but won't confirm Ducati GP24 rumours

Top Comments