Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Feature
Formula 1
Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

Marquez: Signing four-year Honda MotoGP deal “was not a mistake”

Marc Marquez insists that signing a four-year deal with HRC in 2020 “was not a mistake”, despite all of Honda’s woes in MotoGP right now.

Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda Team

The eight-time world champion has yet to see a chequered flag in a grand prix in 2023 and has scored just 15 points from the opening six rounds – though he did miss three with injury.

Having crashed out of the Italian Grand Prix last weekend, Marquez admitted that the constant falls he was suffering on the troubled 2023 Honda were “difficult on the mental side”.

Despite talks that Marquez should extract himself from the massive four-year deal he signed with Honda at the start of 2020 and which expires next season, he insists that there are no regrets about inking that contract as he couldn’t have foreseen what unfolded next.

FEATURE: What Autosport said about Marquez’s four-year Honda deal at the time

“In that moment it was not a mistake, and still I believe it was not a mistake especially because I couldn’t have imagined that I would have broken my arm, that I would have four surgeries on my humerus,” he said on Thursday ahead of the German GP, an event he is unbeaten at in his premier class career.

“I didn’t imagine there would be a pandemic; I didn’t imagine that pandemic would affect Asia more than Europe.

“All these things you cannot control. So, from that, of course the target of those four years was to win four championships.

“At the moment we didn’t achieve this. Now we have another problem, which is to try to be competitive again and try to be consistent in all racetracks and riding in a good, safe way. That’s what we are looking for.”

Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda Team

Marc Marquez, Repsol Honda Team

Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images

Honda stablemates Alex Rins and Joan Mir are not in attendance at the Sachsenring after suffering injury in crashes at Mugello, with the former out indefinitely after badly fracturing his right leg.

Asked if he was concerned about sustaining another serious injury because of a Honda crash, Marquez replied: “I’m not worried about another injury. If you are, you are not fast on the racetrack.

“But it’s true that the risk and the way we are riding now, I feel ready to ride. For example, last year I was not ready to attack. Now I’m ready to attack and I’m riding well.

“I feel ready to be there, but it’s true that I override sometimes. In Le Mans it was normal because I was pushing for the podium, and just I was pushing too much.

“But in Mugello I was very comfortable. I was controlling myself because I chose that soft rear option, I was controlling the gas, all the situations to finish the race in the top six, top seven. But anyway, I crashed and I didn’t expect it.”

Marquez had a meeting with senior Honda management during the Italian GP weekend about the marque’s current problems and says it needs to react soon.

Read more: The crisis point Honda has reached in MotoGP after its Mugello hell

“It’s not the first meeting I have with HRC, but was an important meeting because it was [Shinji] Aoyama-san, [Koji] Watanabe-san, who are some of the biggest bosses in HRC,” he added.

“The meeting was important; the feeling was good in the meeting.

“But now of course in the future, but not the far future, we need some reaction [from Honda].

“We have very good riders in Honda, and we need something more to fight for the top positions.”

Marquez also admitted requested upgrades from Honda prior to Mugello now likely won’t be ready until after the summer break.

Previous article Aleix Espargaro suffered foot fractures in Mugello MotoGP cycling spill
Next article MotoGP German GP: Zarco leads Marquez in rain-hit FP1, Quartararo crashes

Top Comments