Lorenzo: I won't be fully fit in France
Jorge Lorenzo says he will not be fully fit for the French Grand Prix next weekend, but the Spaniard confirmed he will race at Le Mans despite his injuries
Lorenzo injured both his ankles in a dramatic crash during practice in China. Despite that, the Yamaha rider took part in the race and finished in fourth position.
Further checks after the race showed Lorenzo's injuries were worse than initially thought, and the Spaniard has been confined to a wheelchair since then.
But the 21-year-old says his mental condition will make him strong at one of his favourites track next weekend.
"I was lucky in China," said Lorenzo in a team preview. "If I'd have landed differently it could have ruled me out until the middle of the season and certainly prevented me from enjoying myself as much as I am in this early part of the season.
"In China I realised the risks in this sport; as riders we have to take a lot of risks and that Sunday in Shanghai, with my emotions and my feelings, I knew I had to go through it and take risks again because my team were depending on me in the box.
"I won't be at 100% for Le Mans but my mental condition should make me strong at one of my favourite circuits and I am really looking forward to the race just the same.
"I know my team will help me all that they can and hopefully I will be in good enough shape to challenge strongly, as I have at the first four races. China was unfortunate but now I have to move on."
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments