Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Illien still hoping to return to racing

Ilmor boss Mario Illien says he has still not given up on getting his team back into MotoGP following their withdrawal after the first two races of the season

Illien has confirmed that his bike will return to action later this month, but only to run at this year's Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Jeremy McWilliams, who had been scheduled to race for the team before they withdrew after the first round in Qatar, will demonstrate the Ilmor bike at the event on June 22-24.

The decision to take part at Goodwood, on the same weekend as the British Grand Prix at Donington Park, comes with Illien still working hard on attracting the sponsors he needs to make a MotoGP return. He hopes the high-profile demonstration will increase interest in his efforts.

"We're still working very hard on the development of the bike and securing sponsorship for the team," said Illien. "Obviously I would love for us to be racing at Donington the weekend that we're at Goodwood, but at least this way the British public will get a chance to see the bike and Jeremy in action in the mean time.

"We have built up a huge fan base since we launched last year in Estoril and the support from the public since we announced our plans to temporarily suspend racing has been phenomenal - we're still very focused on racing and we want to be back out on track as soon as possible."

McWilliams said he was looking forward to taking part in the Goodwood event, despite the disappointment of not having raced in MotoGP this year.

"I'm really looking forward to taking part again, it's a great event  - last year the atmosphere really blew me away.  The event covers every aspect of motor sport with the most astonishing collection of historical machinery and ex riders and drivers.

"Everyone comes together for Goodwood, I've never seen so many famous faces in one place. Obviously as well as the fun side, it'll be great to get back on the bike."

Previous article Stoner not thinking of title yet
Next article Konica Minolta aware of problems

Top Comments