Ducati team boss Livio Suppo says that the MotoGP manufacturers will follow Formula One's example and make radical cost-cutting changes, but that most of the measures will have to wait until 2010.
The constructors met in Japan last week, but so far the only proposals to have leaked out have been reductions to race weekend mileage and suggestions of how to prolong engine life - whereas the F1 teams and the FIA have already agreed on major revisions to their sport to reduce budgets.
Suppo confirmed that grand prix weekend sessions were likely to be shortened and that changes to the engine rules were on the agenda, with more drastic action set to follow in future years.
"There are some limitations for 2009 but the bikes have already been built, so miracles can't be done," he told Italian magazine Motosprint.
"However, we tried to understand where something could be done without damaging anyone. In practice, since the highest expense comes from wearing material, in particular the engine, we realised that the only thing to do now is to make the bikes spend less time on the track. So it's less test days, shorter free practice and qualifying sessions, and engines able to last at least two grands prix.
"Servicing the engine, and obviously component replacements of any kind, are some of the most important elements of the balance sheet: to cut costs you need to start there. These days an engine is serviced after each racing weekend, that is after having run about 600km. Maybe it gets to 700km, but it's unthinkable for it to reach 1000km. This is the same for everyone.
"This year instead, at least according to our proposal, we should manage to do at least two races with the same engine. In 2010, even three. But for 2010 there is time to intervene in a radical way; that's not the case now.
"I must say that while we all agree on the cancellation of the Monday tests and the reduction of session times, we at Ducati are still waiting for a reply from the Japanese regarding the issue of the engine having to last two races. Let's just say this is technically the most delicate problem, so some manufacturers asked for some time to think. They are evaluating whether they can do it or not. Nothing strange about it."
He said the next phase of discussions - which will take place at the Sepang test - would focus on what could be done for 2010.
"There are many proposals, we are thinking about them now," Suppo said.
"For example, we can move to steel brakes. We can reduce the number of bikes for each team, so two bikes plus a single spare one. And the engines must do more than one race before being serviced, which means making big changes on next year's project."
Suppo added that Kawasaki's decision to withdraw from MotoGP with immediate effect had come as a wake-up call to the rest of the field.
"Looks like, finally, everyone has realised the difficulties we all have to face," he said. "So I saw the will from everyone to work in the same direction, in a serious and fair manner.
"Now everybody has on the table what can be done already this year, so we wait for the GP Commission in order to transform the proposals in proper regulations."