Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Lecuona out of MotoGP Valencia GP after positive COVID test

Tech3 KTM MotoGP rider Iker Lecuona will miss this weekend's Valencia Grand Prix after testing positive for COVID-19 on Saturday

The Spaniard was ruled out of last weekend's European GP after being forced into a 10-day quarantine when his brother and assistant tested positive for the virus.

Lecuona was initially cleared to return to action this week and travelled from Andorra to Valencia early this morning, where upon arrival he underwent another PCR test.

Unfortunately, the test returned a positive result and Lecuona will now have to sit out this weekend's Valencia race also.

He is currently asymptomatic and will undergo tests next week to see if he can race in the Portugal finale.

"We have sad news today," Tech3 boss Herve Poncharal said.

"Although Iker has been tested negative three times, the last test he took this morning at the entrance of the circuit showed positive.

"Therefore, he won't be able to enter the circuit and participate at the Gran Premio de la Comunitat Valenciana.

"He will be tested furthermore in order to understand if ever he can fly to Portugal to participate at the last Grand Prix of the season in Portimao."

Lecuona made his MotoGP debut at the Valencia GP last year in place of an injured Miguel Oliveira, and the team said it had high hopes for his return to the Ricardo Tormo Circuit.

Once again, Oliveira will be the sole Tech3 representative on the grid this weekend.

Lecuona is the second MotoGP rider to test positive for COVID-19 this year following Yamaha's Valentino Rossi.

The nine-time grand prix world champion was ruled out of the Aragon double-header after testing positive for the disease, but was cleared to return last weekend.

His participation in this week's race was placed in doubt when a PCR test on Tuesday returned a positive result - though the viral load was very low and he has since passed further tests.

Within the KTM family, Moto2 rider Jorge Martin was forced to miss the Misano double-header in September when he became the first grand prix rider to test positive for the virus.

Previous article Rossi still doesn’t know if 2020 Yamaha better than 2019 MotoGP bike
Next article Valencia MotoGP: Morbidelli tops FP3 as Rins and Quartararo face Q1

Top Comments

Latest news