Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

DTM
Zandvoort
DTM Zandvoort: Van der Linde grabs victory for BMW as Dorr takes maiden podium

Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Feature
Formula 1
Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

MotoGP news: Joan Mir completes Suzuki 2021 line-up

Suzuki has completed its rider line-up for the 2021 MotoGP season after re-signing Joan Mir on a new two-year deal

The 2017 Moto3 world champion followed in the footsteps of Maverick Vinales in making his MotoGP debut with Suzuki last year following a single season in the Moto2 class.

Mir ended last year as the second-best rookie, finishing 12th in the standings with a best result of fifth at the Australian Grand Prix, although he battled with the after-effects of a violent crash during the post-race Brno test, which forced him out of the Austrian and British GPs.

Though he was one of the main targets for Ducati's 2021 line-up, Suzuki team boss Davide Brivio admitted to Autosport last month that everything had been agreed to retain Mir.

Taking to Instagram on Saturday morning, Mir confirmed he had penned a new agreement with Suzuki.

"I'm extremely happy to sign with Suzuki for another two years - renewing is the best thing that could happen and it's a dream come true again," Mir said.

"It's really important for me to continue because now I have more time to learn and more time to show my potential.

"Two years can go by quickly, but I am ready to arrive at a higher level, and we are working every day to make that happen.

"I am also so pleased on a personal level because I have a really good team and crew around me.

"I really want to thank everyone at Suzuki for their confidence in me, and let's see if I can get the results that we're capable of."

In a similar move, Alex Rins announced last month that he'd re-signed with Suzuki for two more years, and later admitted that discussions first began with the Japanese manufacturer last April.

Suzuki is the second manufacturer to firm up its 2021 line-up, after Yamaha confirmed Maverick Vinales and 2019's top rookie Fabio Quartararo on two-year deals.

Honda stunned the paddock in February when it announced it had secured reigning MotoGP world champion Marc Marquez for four more years on a deal rumoured to be worth €100 million.

The coronavirus-forced delay to the 2020 season has complicated the rider market situation, with many deals looking likely to be agreed before any racing has taken place.

Last month, Marquez suggested MotoGP introduce a freeze to rider contracts for 2021, while Petronas SRT boss Razlan Razali said his team would seek to retain Quartararo should 2020 be cancelled altogether.

After the Dutch, German and Finnish Grands Prix were cancelled, the season won't start until the end of July at the earliest, with MotoGP promoters Dorna Sports "optimistic" of getting the campaign underway by then.

Previous article How Rossi’s Petronas Yamaha deal is drawing closer
Next article MotoGP News: Eager F1 ace Hamilton had to be restrained during Rossi ride swap

Top Comments

Latest news