Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E
London ePrix II
DS Penske finishes in style with a victory for Barnard

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

Formula E
London ePrix II
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein takes second title despite no points in season finale

DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

DTM
Nurburgring
DTM Nurburgring: Wittmann wins for BMW after AMG meltdown

Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

Feature
Formula 1
Why Garden Gate Green and Yamura White are all part of McLaren’s colourful history

The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

WEC
The changes that thrust BMW into title contention in WEC

The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

Formula 1
Dutch GP
The best drives of F1 2026 so far, according to our writers

A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E
London ePrix I
A fine performance from DS Penske in race one at the London E-Prix

Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Formula E
London ePrix I
Formula E London E-Prix: Wehrlein dominates race one to take championship lead

Suzuki blames "hazy" MotoGP wildcard/engine rules for exclusion

Suzuki has blamed a "hazy" regulation regarding wildcard riders for Sylvain Guintoli's exclusion from Friday's practice sessions and having to ditch its 2020 MotoGP engine for the Japanese Grand Prix

Test rider Guintoli is making his fourth race appearance - and third as a wildcard - this year on the GSX-RR this weekend at Motegi, and was running a prototype version of Suzuki's 2020 engine.

He was encouraged by its performance after setting his "best time at Motegi ever" on Friday in 19th overall, but the stewards excluded him from the results of first and second practice for running an engine deemed illegal under homologation rules.

As a result, Suzuki also had to revert Guintoli to a current-spec motor for Saturday's action.

"Suzuki misunderstood the regulation," team boss Davide Brivio told Autosport.

"We thought that, as a wildcard, it was fine for Guintoli to run the new spec engine.

"The regulation is a bit hazy, but of course we accepted [the ruling] and we swapped back to the current spec."

As Suzuki is one of the four manufacturer teams - after Honda, Yamaha and Ducati - to be running without concessions, its engines are frozen for the year once homologated before the first race.

This rule extends to wildcard riders for non-concession manufacturers.

Guintoli, who qualified 21st for Suzuki's home event, branded the Suzuki's running of an illegal engine as a simple misinterpretation.

"Obviously what happened was a mistake of interpretation of the rule," he said.

"So we corrected it this morning before FP3, and rightly so the times were taken off from yesterday.

"But, in a sense of the rule I kind of agree [that this rule shouldn't apply to test riders], but it is what it is - we are not contesting anything."

Guintoli said Suzuki was only told about the ruling "not long" before FP3, and praised the efforts of his team to swap out the engines as quick as it did.

"We were told this morning not a long time before FP3," he added.

"The guys did great. It was not long before FP3, so they did a great job swapping.

"I only had one bike for FP3, they swapped the engine quickly back to this year's spec so I could do FP3, and I only started five minutes late."

Previous article Why Morbidelli prizes outqualifying Quartararo so much
Next article Marquez eases to Motegi MotoGP win ahead of Quartararo

Top Comments

Latest news