Yamaha MotoGP managing director Lin Jarvis says the door would always be open for the Ducati-bound Jorge Lorenzo to return in the future.
Lorenzo will move to the Italian manufacturer next year, ending an association with Yamaha that has so far netted three titles and 41 premier class victories.
With the Spaniard's initial deal covering the 2017 and '18 seasons, Jarvis said Lorenzo would be welcomed back should circumstances unfold, as Valentino Rossi was in 2013 after his own Ducati foray.
"I don't see any reason why the door shouldn't be open to Jorge in the future," he said.
"We've had eight-and-a-half years already and hopefully by the end of this year nine great years together with many championships.
"One of the things is strong with Yamaha is we keep relationships with our ex-riders a lot as well.
"So I would not hesitate to say that Jorge would be welcome in the future if he decided to come back to Yamaha."
NO CALL YET ON FIRST DUCATI TEST
The date of Lorenzo's on-track start with Ducati is yet to be set.
Moving riders in recent times have been granted permission by their outgoing employer to test their next bike after the season's final grand prix.
In the case of Lorenzo and Ducati, that would be in the week following the Valencia finale on November 13, something Jarvis indicated was possible but not yet locked in.
"We haven't been asked," he said during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend.
"Then we would decide. We probably would [agree].
"It has become the industry norm these days to do that, but anyway it's much too early to make a commitment like that when we have a whole season to run."
Autosport has produced a standalone special magazine to celebrate our 70th birthday. All current print subscribers will receive a copy for free. To order your copy of the 196-page Autosport 70th Anniversary issue, please go to: autosport.com/autosport70th