Josef Newgarden topped Indy 500 practice for the third time this week, although the Sarah Fisher Hartman racer also earned the distinction of being the first driver to hit the Brickyard wall in 2012.
Newgarden topped the charts with a 40.2977s lap (222.785mph), putting him just ahead of Andretti Autosport trio Marco Andretti (222.108mph), Ryan Hunter-Reay (221.763mph), and James Hinchcliffe (221.638mph).
But his day ended when he lost control of his car just 16 minutes before the end of the six hour session and spun through 720 degrees before glancing against the barriers.
"You don't get many lucky breaks around this place, and I think I just got one," Newgarden said. "The guys have done a great job putting together such a good car, and I don't want to hurt the thing. I'll try to learn what happened and why the thing got around on me.
"Everyone's trying to figure out the race car around this place, and obviously I have a little more work to do. We were old on our tyre run and trying to run as far as possible to see how the car reacts, and I think it's just difficult to run in the tow, and today I got bit by it a little."
Pos Driver Team Time 1. Josef Newgarden Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing 40.3977s
2. Marco Andretti Andretti Autosport 40.5208s +0.1231
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Autosport 40.5839s +0.1862
4. James Hinchcliffe Andretti Autosport 40.6067s +0.2090
5. Dario Franchitti Chip Ganassi Racing 40.6095s +0.2118
6. Justin Wilson Dale Coyne Racing 40.6468s +0.2491
7. Bryan Clauson Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing 40.7182s +0.3205
8. Charlie Kimball Chip Ganassi Racing 40.7404s +0.3427
9. Takuma Sato Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing 40.7506s +0.3529
10. Sebastian Saavedra AFS Racing/Andretti Autosport 40.7605s +0.3628
11. JR Hildebrand Panther Racing 40.7761s +0.3784
12. Scott Dixon Target Chip Ganassi Racing 40.7948s +0.3971
13. Tony Kanaan KV Racing Technology 40.8525s +0.4548
14. Graham Rahal Chip Ganassi Racing 40.8648s +0.4671
15. Alex Tagliani Bryan Herta Autosport 40.8980s +0.5003
16. Wade Cunningham A.J. Foyt Enterprises 40.9192s +0.5215
17. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Hamilton Motorsports 40.9459s +0.5482
18. Ana Beatriz Andretti Autosport 40.9536s +0.5559
19. Townsend Bell Sam Schmidt Motorsports 40.9605s +0.5628
20. Michel Jourdain Jr. Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing 41.0434s +0.6457
21. Oriol Servia Panther Dreyer & Reinbold Racing 41.0919s +0.6942
22. Ed Carpenter Ed Carpenter Racing 41.1108s +0.7131
23. Helio Castroneves Team Penske 41.3404s +0.9427
24. Will Power Team Penske 41.3596s +0.9619
25. Mike Conway A.J. Foyt Enterprises 41.4304s +1.0327
26. Rubens Barrichello KV Racing Technology 41.5243s +1.1266
27. Ryan Briscoe Team Penske 41.6175s +1.2198
28. E.J. Viso KV Racing Technology 41.7611s +1.3634
29. Jean Alesi Fan Force United 43.8193s +3.4216
30. Simona de Silvestro HVM Racing 43.9005s +3.5028