Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Wilson's World

Our race in Toronto was very disappointing, mainly because for the second race in succession the Mi-Jack Conquest team gave me a car capable of scoring results and it's been taken way from us in accidents that weren't our fault

In terms of pace we had a good weekend in Canada. This time we qualified fifth which, we were a bit disappointed with, because we had been fourth after the Friday session. Obviously we weren't happy that we went backwards instead of forwards. But it still wasn't bad.

I felt there was a little bit more in there, maybe another tenth or two, but it was very tight. Apart from Sebastien [Bourdais] who managed to have a three tenth gap to everyone, but I still think we could have done better.

Then in the race, Bruno [Junqueira] and Mario [Dominguez] crashed in front of me so that cleared them out of the way and put me third behind Bourdais and Paul Tracy. We were able to run quick in the race. I was right up behind Tracy who was up behind Bourdais. I wasn't struggling to hang on at all, in fact, I was sitting there quite comfortably.

When we came to the first pitstops, my team did a great job and got me out ahead, so I was second. Bourdais was still leading and it was all looking good. Then there was a full course yellow when Memo Gidley crashed... I didn't get a good restart and Paul [Tracy] went past on the outside down the backstraight, then as we got on the brakes he braked early, so I went back up the inside.

I turned in to the corner and everything was fine, but just before the middle of the corner I just got hit from behind and spun around. I definitely got hit, one hundred percent. He [Tracy] has said that I was already starting to spin, and he hit me when I'd spun, but that's not the case because the first time I put any opposite lock on the car was when the load came off the rear wheels.

He also said I did a banzai move on him but that's not the case either. We looked at the data afterwards and I braked earlier than I had done on the previous flag restart. But he braked very early and I was able to pass him.

These last two races, Cleveland and Toronto, have been frustrating. Even more so when it's not your fault and I know that some people believe that, in Cleveland at least, the accident was my fault. I still strongly protest that. If Alex [Tagliani] wasn't there then I would still have made it into the first corner of that race, if I wasn't there then Alex would never have made it through.

It's in the past now and, at the end of the day, racing incidents happen. I don't hold grudges, but it is disappointing when you have a couple of weekends in a row like we've had.

I'm pretty happy other than that. We have stabilised and become regular front-runners. It's not like we have started the season with the best team that has years and years of experience, so I feel as if we have achieved a lot already. We are learning all the time so I'm very pleased with the way the Mi-Jack Conquest team is working.

Previous article New Hampshire eyes IndyCars
Next article German GP inside line

Top Comments