Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Bell fined for Junqueira collision

Patrick Racing's Townsend Bell was fined £6,500 and placed on indefinite probation for a crash with CART title protagonist Bruno Junqueira during Sunday's Molson Indy at Toronto in Canada

Bell - who was a lap down - made contact with Junqueira, damaging the Brazilian's car so that he was unable to continue. Bell was excluded from the remainder of the event by chief steward Wally Dallenbach after making it back to the pits, and received his further sanctions on Monday.

"I made a mistake," said Bell. "I thought I could get through successfully, obviously I could not. Wally is the chief steward, he is the man in charge and I will abide by his decision."

Bell had previously been on probation for an incident in the season-opening Grand Prix of Monterrey, but had been taken off it recently. Dallenbach also warned that another incident like this could result in suspension.

"Townsend Bell is an extremely capable race car driver that has made a mistake, and hopefully this ruling will help him focus his energies," said Dallenbach. "Many former CART champions have faced similar sanctions in their early years in the series and as Townsend has shown in winning the Indy Lights championship - he has the potential to turn this into a positive."

Previous article Government to invest in UK motorsport engineering?
Next article New software helps Bridgestone in F1

Top Comments