London's Formula E fixture in Battersea Park has been given final approval by the local council.
Wandsworth Borough Council's community services overview and scrutiny committee last week approved the plans for the Formula E Championship to host its seasonal finale in the London Park at end of June next year.
That decision is due to be rubber-stamped by the council's executive this week, but the race will still be subject to the necessary planning permission being obtained for the temporary structures required to turn the grade II listed park into a racing venue.
The council's environment spokesman, councillor Jonathan Cook said: "This is a great opportunity for Battersea to host a major global sporting event and I am sure that many people living locally will be thrilled at the prospect of watching these exciting racing cars in action in the park."
Tentative approval for the race was given by the relevant council committee in September, but the final decision was delayed from a planned extra-ordinary meeting of that body in October until last week.
That was to allow time for the Heritage Lottery Fund, which made a major investment into the park's infrastructure between 1998 and 2003, to have its say.
The council only gave its blessing to the Formula E fixture after the HLF concluded that the event was appropriate for the park.
The all-electric event will take place on a track made out of the park's perimeters roads measuring just under two miles.
The London event, scheduled at the moment for Saturday, June 27, could become a two-day double-header.
Formula E boss Alejandro Agag revealed at the Beijing series opener in September that one of the European venues could hold two races to bring the inaugural championship up to 10 rounds.
A spokesman for Formula E said: "It is an option for London and we want to give ourselves that possibility.
"The planning application has been submitted and we will have to wait until February for the final green light, but we are very positive."