The FIA could have to move towards establishing its own Formula 2 championship from scratch after Bernie Ecclestone gave a lukewarm response to plans to align with GP2, Autosport understands.
Negotiations between the FIA and GP2, which has been controlled by Formula 1 commercial-rights holder CVC Capital Partners since 2007, appeared to have reached a breakthrough last December.
The FIA's World Motor Sport Council confirmed at its final 2015 meeting that it 'gave a mandate to the president to formalise the contract between the FIA and the GP2 promoter for the establishment of the FIA Formula 2 Championship to complete the FIA's single-seater pyramid from karting to Formula 1.'
But little progress has been made since then.
According to Autosport sources, the matter was discussed at the most-recent meeting of the World Council, held in Geneva in March.
It is believed that FIA president Jean Todt stated a tie-up with GP2 for F2 was the best way forward, but that Ecclestone said GP2 is better off being able to govern itself rather than move under the FIA umbrella, where all decisions would have to be referred to the World Council, and that the series was comfortable in its position of self-governance outside FIA jurisdiction.
It remains to be seen whether the subject will be discussed in this Friday's next meeting of the World Council in Turin.
The impasse has not necessarily ended any hopes of a GP2-based F2 series, and FIA Single Seater Commission president Stefano Domenicali told Autosport in April, one month after the World Council meeting in Geneva: "So far the negotiations are still ongoing with the GP2 Series with regard to next season."
When asked whether there could be a tie-up instead with the existing Formula V8 3.5 series, formerly Formula Renault 3.5, Domenicali added: "We are totally focused on the GP2 negotiations."
It is understood that no wheels have yet been set in motion at the Single Seater Commission on the possibility of F2 going it alone.