Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why wet Canadian GP will be "the perfect storm" for F1

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford dominates to lead home Ingram

Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Feature
Formula 1
Why we need to talk about social media in F1

Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Super Formula
Suzuka
Super Formula Suzuka: Fukuzumi sees off Iwasa for Rookie Racing's first win

Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton’s sim-less approach seems to pay off as he outqualifies Leclerc twice at Canadian GP

The fine lines that denied "faster" Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
The fine lines that denied "faster" Antonelli in Canadian GP qualifying

Supercars Symmons Plains: Feeney halts winless run with dominant display

Supercars
Tasmania Super 440
Supercars Symmons Plains: Feeney halts winless run with dominant display

Antonelli and Russell clear the air after F1 Canadian GP sprint race clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli and Russell clear the air after F1 Canadian GP sprint race clash

Vettel: I can't afford engine failures

Sebastian Vettel has warned that he cannot afford any more engine failures after losing another one of his eight unit allocation for the season in free practice on Saturday

The Red Bull driver had already brought six of his engines into play when he suffered the failure, leaving him with just two fresh ones to deploy during the final six races of the season.

Although teams regularly swap their engines around and are able to bring back powerplants that have been used before, Vettel could face having to take a ten-place grid penalty at the first event where he brings a ninth unit into play. He is understood already to have lost at least one other Renault engine to a failure.

"From now on, there is no room for any more failures or mistakes," said Vettel when asked by AUTOSPORT how concerned he was about his engine allocation.

"I can't change anything now. Of course, if you want to win the championship it is not a good thing towards the end of the season because it will get tight. How tight, we will see."

Despite being pleased with the progress that Red Bull made between Friday practice and qualifying, Vettel fears that the resurgence of McLaren-Mercedes will make it harder to chase down Jenson Button and Brawn in the championship.

He also pointed to the McLaren KERS as a major factor in the team's speed.

"If there is someone who is taking big points, it's not easy to catch up when you are hunters like us," said Vettel. "But let's see what happens tomorrow. Fourth on the grid is not a disaster and no-one has scored any points yet.

"On this circuit last year everyone was close - for instance Force India is not far off. It's not a secret that if you have something on board [like KERS] that is worth three of fourth tenths, the rest cannot find a part that gives that much of a jump."

Previous article Williams seeks early end to Toyota deal
Next article Q & A with Sebastian Vettel

Top Comments

Latest news