Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Haas warns against raising F1 cost cap to fix 2027 power unit issues

The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Formula 1
Canadian GP
The steps Antonelli and Mercedes have taken to solve his F1 start problem

Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

Feature
WRC
Rally Japan
Why WRC 2027 car project is the “most difficult” Toyota has faced

What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
What Sky's new F1 TV deal means for Apple

What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

Formula 1
Canadian GP
What will F1's switch to a 60-40 power split bring? The drivers give their verdict

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Toro Rosso completes deal to run 2015 Ferrari F1 engine next year

Toro Rosso has completed a deal with Ferrari to use a 2015-spec Formula 1 engine next season

Both Red Bull-owned teams were without a power supply for 2016 after requesting to end their deals with Renault at the end of the season.

Toro Rosso opened talks during the season with Ferrari over the possibility of a supply to reignite a partnership that previously ran between 2007 and 2013.

It is understood the deal was done before the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend but it required a number of other things to fall into place before an announcement.

The first hurdle was cleared on Wednesday when the FIA granted permission for Ferrari to supply Toro Rosso with a 2015-spec unit.

The current regulations do not allow for two different specifications of power unit from one manufacturer to be used in a single season, with special dispensation required from the FIA.

After the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz Jr said he was looking forward to having "an even more Italian team" next year.

"It's looking better," he said before Toro Rosso's plans were confirmed. "We might have a bit more horsepower.

"When everyone just flies past you it's very desperate.

"It can only get better and I have full trust that Toro Rosso will do a step forward in terms of reliability, pitstops, and more grip.

"We have a good chance for next year."

On Friday morning, Red Bull announced it would continue to use Renault power next season, although the engine will be badged by TAG-Heuer.

It followed Renault's announcement it will make Lotus its works-outfit in 2016.

Ferrari and Toro Rosso released short statements confirming the agreement, adding that track testing of the new combination will begin at pre-season testing in Barcelona.

Previous article McLaren's Ron Dennis admits he fell out with TAG Heuer chief
Next article Fernando Alonso committed to racing for McLaren in F1 in 2016

Top Comments

Latest news