Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Thankful Hakkinen Ready for F1 Break

Retiring star Mika Hakkinen was thankful to his McLaren team after the final race of the season before taking a break from Formula One next year.

Retiring star Mika Hakkinen was thankful to his McLaren team after the final race of the season before taking a break from Formula One next year.

33-year old Hakkinen, who will be replaced by compatriot Kimi Raikkonen next season at the Woking-based team, decided earlier this year not to race in 2002 in order to spend more time with his family.

The two-time World Champion finished his season with a fourth place at Sunday's Japanese Grand Prix after allowing teammate David Coulthard to take third position in the final laps of the race.

The Finn driver admitted the gesture was to thank the Scot driver for his help in the past, and though he said he will miss Formula One next year, Hakkinen claimed he was looking forward to beginning his break.

"I want to thank everybody who I have worked with for the past nine years for all the effort they put into making my career so successful," said Hakkinen.

"I'm happy that David finished on the podium, and I must admit that by letting him past I wanted to give him something back for the occasions in the past when he has helped me.

"It will take some time to understand my new life and establish whether I enjoy it or not. Right now I'm looking forward to my sabbatical but I'm sure I will also miss Formula One."

Previous article Post-Race Press Conference - Japanese GP
Next article Villeneuve Confident of Progress in 2002

Top Comments

Latest news