Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

MotoGP
Catalan GP
MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Endurance
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

How F1's ADUO system works

Feature
Formula 1
How F1's ADUO system works

Sports Minister Backs Silverstone's F1 Future

The British government believes Silverstone's Formula One future can be assured despite uncertainty hanging over the circuit.

The British government believes Silverstone's Formula One future can be assured despite uncertainty hanging over the circuit.

"I am confident the Grand Prix will stay at Silverstone for the next two years at least," sports minister Richard Caborn told London's Evening Standard newspaper on Monday.

"I believe all the parties know the importance of keeping it there."

But as the Formula One circus packed up after Sunday's British Grand Prix, nobody could say for sure that they would be back next year.

The former airfield, owned by the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), hosted the first Formula One race in 1950 but must come up with a promoter by the end of September or risk being struck off the calendar.

At present the rights are held by Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone after US advertising giant Interpublic paid him to take them back earlier this year. Ecclestone can take his race elsewhere if nobody is prepared to stump up an amount that the BRDC say is beyond them as a private club.

"There can be (another race) immediately, if they can find the guy I sign the contract with for the race, I'm happy to sign now," Ecclestone told Reuters on Sunday. "It's just that nobody wants to sign a contract."

Ecclestone has long been a critic of the facilities at Silverstone, comparing them unfavourably to those at newer tracks springing up in places like Bahrain and China.

But BRDC chairman and former World Champion Jackie Stewart is hopeful that the government will contribute towards the costs of running the race and improving facilities.

Dennis Reacts

McLaren boss Ron Dennis said the main issue was the BRDC's inability to pay to stage the race without crippling itself with debt, rather than any doubts about the suitability of the circuit.

"I'm in the privileged position of being able to fly into Silverstone in a helicopter which gives you a very good overview of the circuit and it has never looked so good," he said.

"There are many circuits, and I don't mean one or two, where the facilities leave a great deal to be desired. Silverstone could be better but it's still a long way ahead of several other circuits. As a club, I do not believe it can satisfy the commercial appetite of the prime rights holder."

Added pressure is coming from London, where there has been talk of hosting a race after Formula One cars staged a demonstration run last week. Team owner Frank Williams said he thought the idea of London replacing Silverstone as a venue was unlikely, however.

"You're asking me to predict the impossible, i.e. what's really in Bernie's mind," said the Williams boss. "Bernie has a plan, but whether Bernie really wants us to stay here or go to London, I don't know.

"I read an astute remark from (pop music impresario) Harvey Goldsmith...who said that given his experience of dealing with London's various bureaucracies, there's not a chance in hell of something like that happening."

The financial investment required to turn central London into a race track would certainly require a huge amount of political will and co-ordination. Sentimentality will not be a factor.

"We'll get a notice as we all always do saying where and when we're racing and we'll turn up there, we'll oblige," said Williams.

Previous article Ralf aims for early comeback
Next article Jenson Button: The champagne's still on ice

Top Comments