Silverstone announces improvements to avoid repeat of 2012 traffic

Silverstone has announced several improvements to its traffic management and infrastructure in a bid to avoid a repeat of the traffic chaos of this year's British Grand Prix

Silverstone announces improvements to avoid repeat of 2012 traffic

The circuit was forced to advise fans with public car park passes not to attend on Saturday in order to ensure the venue was able to host a full attendance for the race, after unprecedented levels of rainfall led to waterlogged campsites and gridlocked roads.

Silverstone exclusively told AUTOSPORT last month about the changes it had planned in order to avoid a repeat of this year's debacle, while also confirming it had completed its refunding process for customers forced to miss parts of the weekend.

Click here for the AUTOSPORT'S exclusive feature with Silverstone about the planned changes for 2013

Silverstone has now confirmed it will expand the capacity of its Park and Ride scheme and operate it on all three days of the grand prix, improve its shuttle service for those commuting by train and invest in improving the non-tarmacked car parks on site.

The Silverstone Woodlands campsite will also be increased by 70 acres, to provide fans with an 'improved experience' and to act as holding site in the event of bad weather.

Silverstone managing director Richard Phillips said that lessons had been learned from 2012.

"For more than 10 years now, fans have had little or no issue getting in and out of the circuit for the British Grand Prix, so it's important to keep the problems of this year in perspective," he explained.

"That said, the traffic issues on the Friday of this year's event, and having to ask a number of fans to stay away on the Saturday, were far from ideal.

"We have learned from this year's experience and are taking steps to ensure we're better equipped to deal with whatever the weather may throw at us in future."

shares
comments
Kimi Raikkonen optimistic he and Lotus can be even stronger in 2013

Previous article

Kimi Raikkonen optimistic he and Lotus can be even stronger in 2013

Next article

Bernie Ecclestone has 'a thousand more ideas' to pursue at F1 helm

Bernie Ecclestone has 'a thousand more ideas' to pursue at F1 helm
Load comments
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Plus

Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021