Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

Formula 1
Canadian GP
How GM tech accelerated Cadillac's F1 entry

MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP chief defends officiating of Catalan GP

The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

Feature
Formula 1
The F1 power unit formula solution that could suit all parties

How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Feature
MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
How Aprilia's Barcelona collapse showed the pressures of leading MotoGP's title race

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Sergio Perez adamant his messy end to the 2012 season is behind him

Sergio Perez is adamant the messy end to his Sauber career is now behind him and will not impact on his debut with McLaren

The Mexican found himself on the receiving end of criticism at the tail end of 2012 when, after signing for new team McLaren, he failed to score a point for his old outfit Sauber in the final six races of the season.

And although he is adamant that his disappointing run of form had nothing to do with the increased pressure that came with his step up to McLaren, he says that he did not take the situation lightly.

"I have to accept that I made some mistakes, but as well the points didn't come for many reasons," he said during a media interview session involving AUTOSPORT in London on Tuesday.

"It was not only with the mistake I made in Japan, but also other races.

"I put the car sometimes where we were not expecting to be, but for some reason or another we did not manage to get the final result. It was not for lack of preparation - because for any team I am driving I will always give 100 per cent, and that is the approach I always have.

"I think I have to take the positives from 2012, and the negatives as well. From the negatives you learn more than you do from the positives."

Perez's run of form at the end of last year means that there will be more scrutiny on his early performances for McLaren, and increased pressure to not make errors in the first races of the campaign.

But the Mexican thinks that even if he starts the season well, the pressure will not get any less.

"The pressure is there, and the pressure will be there even if I am winning: the pressure will be there to win more," he said.

Previous article Perez says he needs to change approach for first McLaren season
Next article Button must become a man for all seasons

Top Comments

Latest news