Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Albon and Ocon join Cadillac and Aston Martin with Q1 exit

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Albon and Ocon join Cadillac and Aston Martin with Q1 exit

Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Wolff must apply a different lesson from 2016 with Antonelli and Russell

Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Feature
Formula 1
Canadian GP
Gloves off at Mercedes? Russell-Antonelli duel shows glimpse of F1 2026 battle

Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes boss defends Antonelli's fury following clash with Russell

Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Antonelli wants Mercedes "clarity" over Russell defence in Canada F1 sprint

F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell wins sprint after Antonelli clash

BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Rainford victorious in qualifying race, Sutton fails to finish after puncture

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell wins sprint after clash with Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell wins sprint after clash with Antonelli

Sauber Breaks From Ferrari Rivals

Sauber broke ranks with Ferrari's other rivals on Saturday in disowning a statement criticising the Formula One Champions for the amount of testing they do

The team, whose Malaysian-sponsored Petronas engines are built by Ferrari, said they distanced themselves completely from a statement headed "nine teams record their disappointment regarding Ferrari testing activities".

Sauber said the unsigned document, handed out at the Malaysian Grand Prix on Friday, had been issued "without the prior approval of some of the aforementioned teams."

The statement criticised Ferrari, who are not party to any testing agreement after a rift with the other teams, for testing during the week of a Grand Prix and also for rejecting invitations to limit testing.

"Ferrari's actions not only potentially destabilise Formula One and increase costs but also provide Ferrari with an unequal advantage over all other teams," it said. "Inevitably, such actions on the part of Ferrari can only increase costs within Formula One and undermine the principle of a 'level playing field' in the sport."

Sauber lined up with the other teams over testing restrictions in Brazil at the end of last season after previously siding with Ferrari. McLaren boss Ron Dennis suggested the Swiss-based team had been leant on this time.

"Peter's position is very clear and we respect it," he said. "When it comes to an issue such as this, he isn't able to support it in public."

Previous article Coulthard: Mixed Feelings over Record
Next article GPDA Happy Schumacher Apologised

Top Comments