Sauber blames both F1 drivers for Monaco Grand Prix collision

Sauber chief Monisha Kaltenborn says both her Formula 1 drivers were to blame for their Monaco Grand Prix collision, which she described as "unacceptable"

Sauber blames both F1 drivers for Monaco Grand Prix collision

Felipe Nasr rejected a call to cede position to Marcus Ericsson with the latter then trying a pass into Rascasse that damaged both cars and forced their eventual retirements.

The incident was investigated by the stewards with Ericsson being handed a three-place penalty for the Canadian Grand Prix as well as two penalty points on his licence.

Kaltenborn spoke to both drivers individually and then together following the race and she is now confident the matter has been put to bed.

"Both were in the wrong," she told Autosport.

"To be honest, this is not about their happiness - we are a team and everyone knows their responsibilities.

"It's about a team and there are many people in this team who are working very hard for us to secure a point, to show a good performance, and the two young men have to be aware of their responsibility and I'm sure they are."

Nasr said this is not the first time team orders have been disobeyed, pointing to two incidents last year when Ericsson failed to yield when told to do so.

Kaltenborn chose not to comment on those instances but has made both drivers aware of their role within the team and she is certain team orders will not be disobeyed again.

"We've had a talk together about it and we have clarified the matter," she said.

"I'm certain it will not happen again.

"It's not frustrating, it's simply unacceptable and that's it.

"I don't think I will have to tell them again.

"The points have been put across clearly to them. No one expects them to be best friends.

"There was a driver who said his toughest opponent on track is his team-mate, which is fair, but you have a responsibility to the team of which they have been reminded of again."

Ericsson suggested Nasr was told to move over seven or eight laps before their collision.

When asked if the drivers will move over immediately when they get a team order in future, she said: "I expect that, yes."

shares
comments
Monaco GP post-race FIA press conference full transcript
Previous article

Monaco GP post-race FIA press conference full transcript

Next article

Nico Rosberg had 'complete lack of confidence' in Monaco Grand Prix

Nico Rosberg had 'complete lack of confidence' in Monaco Grand Prix
The inconvenient questions posed by Vettel’s Williams run Plus

The inconvenient questions posed by Vettel’s Williams run

Sebastian Vettel's demo laps on board his own Williams FW14B was not only a great spectacle for the fans, but were carried out with a fully sustainable, carbon-neutral fuel. And it begs the question - for all of the money F1 has spent on championing hybrids and electric components, could it go back to V8s or V10s with a similar kind of fuel?

The pioneering pair who brought a new glory era to an F1 heavyweight  Plus

The pioneering pair who brought a new glory era to an F1 heavyweight 

With the team’s founder now retired and a new boss at the helm, change was coming to Brabham – change that would shape the future of Formula 1. In the third part of our four-part history of Brabham, DAMIEN SMITH examines the effect Bernie Ecclestone had on the team

Formula 1
Jul 6, 2022
The combination behind the Silverstone racing battles Hamilton called "F1 at its best" Plus

The combination behind the Silverstone racing battles Hamilton called "F1 at its best"

OPINION: The late battling in the British Grand Prix wowed Formula 1 fans and surely represents the best racing action of the season so far. And there was a cocktail of factors that created the action, from which Carlos Sainz emerged as a popular new winner

Formula 1
Jul 6, 2022
How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine Plus

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine

OPINION: Ferrari won the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz, but it ultimately cost Charles Leclerc a chance to make a bigger dent in Max Verstappen's title lead by leaving the Monegasque out on old tyres towards the end. Like Monaco, indecision over strategy proved to be the Scuderia's biggest issue - and if the team doesn't reflect, the headache can only intensify

Formula 1
Jul 5, 2022
The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Formula 1
Jul 4, 2022
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022